Installation of WRF-Hydro

Raj Pritam Gupta 18381

Jan 31, 2023, 1:25:42 PM1/31/23
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Hello everyone,

I am a master's student. I have run the WRF model and done some simulations for the Himalayan region, and now, for further study, I want to install and run the WRF-Hydro model for the same study domain.

I have tried to install the model, and I think I have installed the model correctly because the test case has run fine and doesn't show any error, but the example case has everything given, so I don't have to make anything. I have just run the model as written in the manual. But I need to figure out for my domain how to make the geospatial data and input files in netCDF format for the hydro components of the coupled modeling system prepared with the WRF-Hydro GIS preprocessing tools.

Can someone please help me to figure out my problem.

Thank you

Raj
--
Raj Pritam Gupta
Roll: 18381, 5th Year BS-MS (Dual Degree)

Abraham Loha

Feb 1, 2023, 3:01:17 AM2/1/23
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
there is a beta version of  python code please follow step by step for  WRF-Hydro GIS preprocessing  beta version

Kevin

Feb 1, 2023, 11:00:32 AM2/1/23
to wrf-hydro_users, Abraham Loha
Raj,

It sounds as though you have a working WRF domain, so it should be relatively straight-forward to build a WRF-Hydro configuration using your domain files (geo_em.d0*.nc). The first question is whether you have access to Esri ArcGIS (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, etc). If you do, then you can use the WRF-Hydro ArcGIS Pre-rprocessor, here. On the releases page, you can find documentation and test domains. If you do not have access to an Esri license, there is a Beta open-source GIS Pre-processor, here. There is less documentation, and the open-source version will require you to build a suitable python environment. Please consult the documentation  and presentations to learn more about how the tools work. You will need to bring your own DEM and get familiar with the tool settings and how they will impact the hydrologic components of your grid. We suggest you start by building simple model configurations first, and ensure the model is working well before coupling to WRF.

Cheers,

Kevin