Downscale / Regridding Forcing files

Kayla Yamamoto

Nov 30, 2022, 5:34:00 AM11/30/22
to wrf-hydro_users
Aloha all,

Does anyone know the best way to downscale National Water Model (NWM) analysis assimilation forcing files to a user defined WRF-Hydro grid defined in a Geogrid file?

The NWM Hawaii forcing files are on a 1km grid covering the island chain, while my WRF-Hydro domain covers a small subset on the island of Oahu at a higher resolution of 10 meters.

I tried using the ESMF scripts to regrid the NWM source data to my WRF-Hydro destination grid, but I ran into issues with NWM forcing not containing any lat/lon fields. I'm not too experienced with NCL, but attempted to use the 'wrf_user_xy_to_ll' function, and couldn't get it to output the lat/lon values.  I attached a sample NWM forcing file along with my domain Geogrid file below for reference.
geo_em.d01.nc
nwm.t00z.analysis_assim.forcing.tm00.hawaii.nc