ESMF scripts not working for high resolution domain

Kayla Yamamoto

Nov 30, 2022, 5:47:27 AM11/30/22
to wrf-hydro_users
Hi everyone,

I tried running the ESMF regridding scripts for GLDAS, MRMS, etc. but couldn't get them to work for my Oahu, Hawaii high-res 10 meter domain (geogrid file attached).

I've been able to successfully run the test cases provided, and then tried changing values to match my domain in the Geogrid file one by one to try to locate the source of the problem (e.g. dx/dy, location, e_we/e_sn, etc.).  It seems to be related to the location of my domain, defined by the 'ref_lat', 'ref_lon', 'stand_lon' values.

When running the regridding scripts, I get the following error throughout my log:
(0)     ESMF_regrid_with_weights: regridding using interpolation weights ...
(0)     ESMF_regrid_with_weights: error: there are no weights on this file.
(0)         This likely means there was a problem with the mapping
(0)         from the source grid to the destination grid.
(0)         Check that both grids are valid.

The output_files/* are generated, but when I check them there is values of 0 throughout the entire domain.

Has anyone experienced something similar when working with island, coastal and/or high-resolution domains (10m or less)?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,
Kayla

geo_em.d01.nc