WRF / WRFCHEM / WRF Hydro / Hurricane WRF Install Scripts for the Atmospheric Community - (Broken Links)

Will H

Aug 8, 2022, 4:10:12 PM8/8/22
Good Day to the Weather Research Forecasting Modeling Community, Atmospheric Science Community, & Meteorological Organization Leaders,

It appears that the hyperlinks in my previous email are sending you to the old dead github account even though the web addresses are correctly named. I do apologize for this error on my part. I am not certain why the links are pointing to my old github account. Below you will find all the correctly linked links to my WRF install scripts.

My new github:

Hurricane WRF (HWRF):

GEMPAK / WRFCHEM TOOLS / DTC MET Tools
https://github.com/HathewayWill/GEMPAK_Install

WRF HYDRO:

Below is a summary of all the features that the latest code that I recently updated, will include on my new github links:

The WRF install scripts will now include the latest versions of the following:

  • Miniconda3

  • NCAR Command Language (NCL) v6.6.2

  • WRF-Python v1.3.4.1

  • MET 10.1.2

  • METPLUS 4.1.3

  • OBSGRID

  • WRFDA

  • WRFPLUS

  • RIP4

  • ARWpost V3.1

  • UPP 4.1

  • OpenGrADS v 2.2.1

  • All the latest compilers and libraries

    • Zlib 1.2.12

    • libpng 1.6.37

    • Jasper 1.900.1

    • MPICH 4.0.2

    • HDF5 1.12.2

    • NETCDF-C 4.9.0

      • Built with NETCDF-4 Support

    • NETCDF-Fortran 4.6.0

      • Built with NETCDF-4 Support

  • WRFCHEM-Tools

    • MOZBC

    • MEGAN

    • WES COLDENS

    • ANTHRO_EMIS

    • EDGAR_HTAP

    • EPA_ANTHRO_EMIS

    • UBC

    • Aircraft

    • FINN

  • WRFHYDRO Preprocessor

    • Utilizing OpenGIS

  • Installation Process is now in Parallel

    • Uses -j to speed up process

      • Except on MasOS -j is not used

    • Will lead to significantly shorter install times

Please make sure to read over all the scripts to make sure you know what they are doing and comment out lines of code if needed for your specific application.

Pay attention to the GEOG files as they take up over 200GB if they are all downloaded and unpacked.

Also, the WRF-CHEM tools are around 50GB.

In total the WRF installation, with everything downloaded, takes about ~250-275GB of storage space if nothing is left out.

If you have downloaded and utilized my scripts before, please make sure to download this version and reinstall to get all the tools and processors and latest patches in the WRF code.

It has been recommended to me to have a citation included for my scripts should they be used in any research application.  In the Github code there is a citation script that writes a citation in APA form.  This is the format accepted by Github, if you need it in another format I can provide information for you.

Lastly, I have been asked by users of my code if I would enable the sponsorship/donation button on Github as a way to say thank you for all my hard work.  I have had mixed feelings on whether or not I should enable this feature as I don't want to come across as asking for money for my work.  However I ultimately decided to turn this feature on due to the high level of requests.  Let me be clear, my code is not pay to use and donations/sponsorships  are NOT required to use it.  IF you choose to make a donation I will graciously accept it and will be very thankful for your donation.

https://github.com/sponsors/HathewayWill

As always, I write these scripts to better help the greater atmospheric community.  I seek no recognition or accolades.  If I can help the advancement of the global atmospheric community through this small effort then I will be happy.

I ask that you please share these scripts amongst your friends, colleagues, any email lists you manage, or newsletters.  WRF is a powerful tool and it is my hope that with these scripts it will be easier for researchers to utilize.

If you like my code please feel free to star and follow it on github as well as add me on LinkedIn!

Regards,

Will Hatheway

https://www.linkedin.com/in/williamhatheway

https://github.com/HathewayWill

PS. If the graphic is to small you can see all the downloads by country here:
https://datawrapper.dwcdn.net/44vUT/1/

Will H

Aug 8, 2022, 4:11:10 PM8/8/22
to wrf-hydro_users, Will H