WRF-Hydro GIS Pre-Processing outputs files visualization

Orzu Odinaev

Nov 10, 2022, 4:56:50 AM11/10/22
to wrf-hydro_users
Hey everyone,
Does anybody have experience of visualizing GIS Pre-Processing output files such as:
-GEOGRID_LDASOUT_Spatial_Metadata.nc
-GWBUCKPARM.nc
-Fulldom_hires.nc
-GWBASINS.nc
I want to visualize my catchment domain with outlet points. How can I do that?

Regards,

Orzu

Kevin

Nov 11, 2022, 4:49:39 PM11/11/22
to wrf-hydro_users, Orzu Odinaev
Orzu,

I have extensive experience with visualizing WRF-Hydro input data, such as the files that you listed. The 2 dimensional files are most well-suited to visualization in a GIS application such as ArcGIS or QGIS (open source). An easy way to view all of the 2D files from your "routing stack" is to use the "Examine Outputs of GIS Pre-processor" tool in the WRF-Hydro ArcGIS Pre-processing toolbox, or the equivalent "Examine_Outputs_of_GIS_Preprocessor.py" script in the WRF-Hydro Open Source GIS Pre-processing tools. This will convert all the 2D grids in your .zip file into individual rasters that you can easily visualize in GIS applications.

You can also view any of the 2D files from Fulldom_hires.nc or GWBASINS.nc in GIS by dragging and dropping the netCDF file into QGIS or ArcMap. For ArcGIS Pro use the Add Data > Add Multidimensional Raster Layer. You can select individual variables or select all variables. They will come in as 2D raster layers.

Unfortunately the geogrid file does not contain any recognizable or standard metadata. To view data in this file, you can use NCVIEW or export individual rasters from this file using the "Export Grid from GEOGRID File" tool in the WRF-Hydro ArcGIS Pre-processor or the "Build_GeoTiff_From_Geogrid_File.py" script in the open-source WRF-Hydro GIS Pre-processing tools. You can also use these methods for any of the variables in the Fulldom_hires.nc file.

The GEOGRID_LDASOUT_Spatial_Metadata.nc file is not very interesting. This file stores CF-compliant spatial metadata that WRF-Hydro can append to output files, making the WRF-Hydro outputs CF-compliant and easy to visualize in client applications (ArcGIS, QGIS, Panoply, etc.). The GWBUCKPARM file contains groundwater basin parameters and does not contain spatial data. If you want to view the groundwater units, you can view the 2D basins in the GWBASINS.nc file.

Using any of the above methods, you should be able to overlay your domain variables with other data such as outlet points.

Thanks,

Kevin

Wahid Hussainzada

Nov 11, 2022, 11:14:13 PM11/11/22
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu, Orzu Odinaev
Dear Ourzu

As previous email explained about visualization of grid routing files you can use GIS except the geo_‘em files. On those files NCL can visualize your domain files and other content you can see in ncview.

Best regards
Wahid

Wahidullah Hussainzada