ArcGIS Pro Preprocessing Tool Error

Jana Corominas

Apr 9, 2024, 3:47:18 AMApr 9
to wrf-hydro_users
Hi,
I have been using wrf-hydro for years and the preprocessing tool worked always fine. Currently I'm using ArcGIS Pro 3.2.0 and WRF-Hydro ArcGIS Preprocessor 5.2.0 (which worked one month ago) and today it's not working anymore.
Process GEOGRID tool just cracks but no errors pop out. I also tried using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 but didn't work. However, I tried using arcmap and it worked fine.
I attach my data in case someone can reproduce or solve the problem.
Thanks.
tst-data.zip

郭东淏

Apr 9, 2024, 3:48:58 AMApr 9
to wrf-hydro_users
try arcgis pro  2.8.3

Apr 11, 2024, 6:02:08 PMApr 11
to wrf-hydro_users, Donghao Guo
Jana,

You did not provide any specific information on the error you are encountering, but I was able to produce an error in ArcGIS Pro 3.2.1 when processing your data using a default set of parameters. This error seems to be related to calculating statistics on an in-memory raster. I have made some changes that will write some temporary outputs to disk and keep others in memory, and it seems to prevent the error from happening. Can you go to GitHub and pull the current master version of the WRF-Hydro ArcGIS Pre-processing tools and try with that version? You will need to clone or download the current state, not one of the releases.

Let me know if it works,

Thanks,

Kevin

On Tuesday, April 9, 2024 at 1:48:58 AM UTC-6 Donghao Guo wrote:
try arcgis pro  2.8.3

Jana Corominas

Apr 12, 2024, 2:23:37 AMApr 12
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu, Kevin
Thank you so much Kevin!
After cloning the github directory, the preprocessing tool worked perfectly on my 3.2.0 ArcGIS Pro. I didn't attach any errors because there were no messages, just a red box with "tool failed" but no information about it (which was strange).
I noticed that there's a new Additional Functionality "Channel Mask Raster", is it supposed to be a raster with defined channel cells? It would be really useful since last time I needed to "burn" channel cells into the DEM to make sure the channelgrid was modelized accordingly. I would appreciate having more information about this additional functionality.

Thanks again,
Jana Corominas

On Fri, Apr 12, 2024 at 12:02 AM Kevin <ksam...@ucar.edu> wrote:
[...]

Kevin Sampson

Apr 12, 2024, 11:44:15 AMApr 12
to Jana Corominas, wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Jana,

I am very glad that using the latest master version of the repository worked for you. We try to push updates when we have them and maintain backward compatibility with older versions of ArcGIS when possible.

As far as the "Channel Mask Raster" option, I have not added this functionality to the documentation yet. Here is a description:

This capability was added 9/1/2022. You can use a mask raster consisting of 1 and NoData, which exactly matches your routing grid. This raster will be used to mask channels such that the routing stack will only have channels (and derivative grids) within the area defined with values of 1.

It sounds like you would like to have a channel burning capability. I have considered this, but the burn parameters will be different for every case, and can be difficult to enforce. All routing grids must maintain consistency with the elevation layer, and so we would have to build a robust functionality to burn channels and create all derivatives from that layer, while not burning too deep of a channel into the DEM. You can always burn channels into your input high-resolution DEM, and can use an input DEM of identical resolution and extent as your routing grid, if you would like to enforce an exact custom elevation layer into your routing grid.

Another option is that you can provide the source points for your stream network (headwater nodes), and channels will be limited to areas that are hydrologically downstream from these locations. These resulting streams may not exactly match stream layers from other sources (such as digitized river networks), but will be consistent with the elevation layer provided.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin Sampson, GISP
Associate Scientist
NSF National Center for Atmospheric Research
Boulder, Colorado

Jana Corominas

Apr 15, 2024, 2:12:44 AMApr 15
to wrf-hydro_users, Kevin, wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu, Jana Corominas
Thanks for the information Kevin,
Indeed the last times I used the Preprocessing Tool I already gave it a DEM with burned rivers according to my known channel network. I also use river headwater nodes as input, but final rivers weren't good downstreams so I had to use the burning method.
I'm definitely gonna try the new functionality, thanks a lot.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted