model warm up

Wahid Hussainzada

Jan 26, 2023, 11:30:38 PM1/26/23
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.

I am new to WRF-Hydro and will appreciate your help. I am quite confused with the concept of the model warm-up. I understood the importance of model warm-up and that we should warm-up the model for a few years. I am using WRF output as the forcing data and considering the resources I can't afford for a few years on the warm-up. I decided to run the treadmill spin-up and run single years a few times. My question is, suppose I run the model for the entire 2015 then should I feed the RESTART file from Dec-2015 again to the model in January-2015?

I appreciate your help since I couldn't find any clear instructions online and also the emails in the group.

--
Best Regard;
Wahidullah Hussainzada

David Gochis

Jan 27, 2023, 11:56:03 AM1/27/23
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Hello Wahid,

Your plan is reasonable and is often what one must do when they have limited meteorological forcing data or possibly limited compute resources.  We refer to this method of spin-up as "cycling" on a single year or small set of years as opposed to a more "real-world" spinup.  There are some limitations given the long memory of deep soil moisture and groundwater/baseflow processes but in general this method will produce reliable results and is still far better than not doing a long spinup or trying adopt analyses from different models from different scales and different process representations.

Best,
Dave Gochis

Anzoumana Fofana

Mar 4, 2023, 5:02:57 AM3/4/23
to wrf-hydro_users, gochis
I am fofana student in ivory coast Can you help me please I really suffered to get to install wrfhydro coupled I watch the videos and the documents but I don't understand. I would like : 1) create the sample lessons 2) I would like to do a simulation on the Mé watershed in Ivory Coast please help me THANKS
Capture d’écran du 2023-03-03 07-50-18.png