create_wrfinput.R script

Orzu Odinaev

Jun 24, 2022, 3:00:34 AM6/24/22
to wrf-hydro_users
Hello everyone,
I would like to use create_wrfinput.R for initial soil conditions. In the description, it says that filltyp and laimo values are recommended to be set by the user to fit their domain. My question is "where to find filltyp and laimo arguments in order to specify them?". I looked in HYDRO.tbl, SOIL.tbl and etc., however, I could find a description for these 2 above-mentioned arguments. I would mostly appreciate if you could help me with this.

Yu-Fen Huang

Jun 29, 2022, 2:32:17 AM6/29/22
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Hi Orzu,

If you take a look at the R script, `create_wrfinput.R`, you'll see more detail.

filltyp: "Soil type to use as a fill value in case
                conflicts between soil water and land cover water cells. If the script encounters a cell
                that is classified as land in the land use field (LU_INDEX) but is classified as a water
                soil type, it will replace the soil type with the value you specify. Ideally there are
                not very many of these, so you can simply choose the most common soil type in your domain.
                Alternatively, you can set to a bad value (e.g., -8888) to see how many of these conflicts
                there are. If you do this DO NOT RUN THE MODEL WITH THESE BAD VALUES. Instead, fix them
                manually with a neighbor fill or similar fill algorithm. "

laimo is the month to use for LAI initialization.

Best regards,
Yufen

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 9:00 PM Orzu Odinaev <orzuo...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,
I would like to use create_wrfinput.R for initial soil conditions. In the description, it says that filltyp and laimo values are recommended to be set by the user to fit their domain. My question is "where to find filltyp and laimo arguments in order to specify them?". I looked in HYDRO.tbl, SOIL.tbl and etc., however, I could find a description for these 2 above-mentioned arguments. I would mostly appreciate if you could help me with this.

Yu-Fen Huang

Department of Natural Resources & Environmental Management
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa