Missing soil_properties parameters

Ridwan Mohammed Nur

Jan 23, 2024, 9:09:58 AMJan 23
to wrf-hydro_users
Hi Dr. Kevin,

While running the R script to create the soil_properties.nc file, some parameters appear to be missing (see attached). In my case, there are 21 parameters, but in the USGS example case, it shows 31. The model runs successfully with these 21 parameters, but to utilize the PyWrfHydroCalib script, the remaining parameters are required.

How can I obtain all the parameters? Is there anything I need to change inside the R script? Is there any alternative method to create the soil_properties.nc file, apart from using the R script?

Many thanks,
Ridwan
error.txt

Kevin Sampson

Jan 23, 2024, 10:14:04 AMJan 23
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu
Ridwan,

Yes, there are alternate ways to generate soil_properties, but they will give you the same results. These alternate methods are scripts and tools in the GIS Pre-processors for WRF-Hydro. Both the ArcGIS and open-source versions have a soil_properties script. I think you are seeing the messages from the R script that indicate that certain parameter values are missing. This is not an error. It is normal for a domain not to contain all possible values for certain soil parameters.

You mentioned that the model is running successfully, but the calibration script has an issue with missing parameters. Could you tell us what the calibration script is indicating?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin Sampson, GISP
Associate Scientist
NSF National Center for Atmospheric Research
Boulder, Colorado

Ridwan Mohammed Nur

Jan 23, 2024, 10:42:42 AMJan 23
to wrf-hyd...@ucar.edu, ksam...@ucar.edu
Thank you, Dr. Kevin, for your prompt reply. The errors during calibration are as follows:

  main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/home/docker/wrf-hydro-training/output/Calibration/IWAA_Calib/13010065/RUN.CALIB/adjust_parameters.py", line 278, in main
    idHydroTbl.variables['NEXP'][:,:] = float(newParams.nexp[0])
KeyError: 'NEXP'
Primary job  terminated normally, but 1 process returned
a non-zero exit code. Per user-direction, the job has been aborted.
mpiexec detected that one or more processes exited with non-zero status, thus causing
the job to be terminated. The first process to do so was:

  Process name: [[18091,1],0]
  Exit code:    1

If both methods yield the same results, may I know how the USGS example case was created? Is there any way to bypass those absent parameters during calibration? I did not enable those parameters, yet the script is still searching.

Thanks
Ridwan

WH_CALIB_1_1.err