CAM-Chem data for a period longer than 32 days

Stefan Rahimi

Sep 11, 2020, 4:39:58 PM9/11/20
to wrf-chem-mozbc
Greetings,

I am running WRF-Chem for a 6-month period, and I am using CAM-Chem data to generate the BCs/ICs. It seems as though the CAM-Chem/ACOM download website will not let me order CAM-Chem data for blocks longer than 32 days. I've used mozbc several times, but all of my data were contained in a single file. Should I just download 6 months of data into 6 separate files and run mozbc 6 times? I seems to remember this not being a problem for me in the past... What is the most efficient practice here? Is mozbc designed to handle multiple files sequentially? If so, that may be the easiest option...

Thanks,
-Stefan Rahimi, UCLA

Gabriele Pfister

Sep 18, 2020, 11:03:24 AM9/18/20
to Stefan Rahimi, wrf-chem-mozbc
Hi Stefan

the 32 day limit is needed so that our download servers do not get overloaded. In order to retrieve 6 months of data you will simply have to submit multiple requests. But note that output files for a whole month can get quite large.

mozbc will have no trouble running for the entire time period. As listed in the README you will just have to make sure that the filenames are of a nature so that mozbc can automatically increment them. I suggest naming them something like h0001.nc, h0002.nc, h0003.nc etc.

Hope this helps,
Gabriele
--
Gabriele Pfister, Acting Director