Running MOZBC with CAM-Chem output for longer period (more than two months)

mriganka biswas

Jan 31, 2023, 12:34:13 PM1/31/23
to wrf-chem-mozbc
Hello all,

I need to run WRF-Chem (version 3.9.1) for one full year (2018). I'm creating chemistry BC and IC using MOZBC and CAM-Chem output. However I have CAM-Chem output files for every month (I think it can not be downloaded for longer period at one go). In MOZBC input file I need to specify the CAM-Chem file name for 'fn_moz' variable. I can only specify one file name.

1. I tried to combine multiple CAM-Chem (monthly) output files using CDO 'mergetime' and 'cat'. Both the attempts failed.

2. If I use file name with numerical extension (e.g. ***01.nc), I can run it for two months as it tries to find file with numerical extension '0' (e.g. ***00.nc).

Please let me know how to solve this problem.

Thanks
Mriganka

Gabriele Pfister

Jan 31, 2023, 5:38:36 PM1/31/23
to mriganka biswas, wrf-chem-mozbc
Hello Mriganka

mozbc will automatically increment filenames to look for the dates it needs. I suggest renaming your CAM-Chem files to h0001.nc, h0002.nc etc. in chronological order and in the mozbc input file specify the fn_moz variable with the first file name. Then mozbc should successfully increment the filenames.

Gabi
--
Gabriele Pfister, Deputy Director