Guidance regarding emissions processing for MOZART-MOSAIC chemical mechanism

Yogesh Sathe

Aug 10, 2023, 3:44:30 AM8/10/23
to wrf-chem-anthro_emiss
Dear All,
While referring to MOZART-MOSAIC guidance (https://www2.acom.ucar.edu/sites/default/files/documents/MOZART_MOSAIC_V3.6.readme_dec2016.pdf), following two chemical species are mentioned:

state    real  e_co_a         i+jf     emis_ant     1         Z      i5     "E_CO_A"                "EMISSIONS CO_A AER"       "ug/m3 m/s"
state    real  e_co_bb        i+jf     emis_ant     1         Z      i5     "E_CO_BB"                "EMISSIONS CO_BB AER"       "ug/m3 m/s"

 Very limited information is available online on these species. I am wondering if these are carbon monoxide (CO) emissions from anthropogenic and biomass burning sources then:

1. Why the units of these species are same as aerosol species i.e. ug/m3 m/s?

2. What is the difference between E_CO_A and emissions specified by E_CO variable in the wrfchemi_ files?

Any leads and guidance is appreciated.

Thank you.

Yogesh

Wenyu Liu

Nov 9, 2023, 10:10:33 PM11/9/23
to wrf-chem-anthro_emiss, Yogesh Sathe
Dear Yogesh,
    I am trying to use the MOZART-MOSAIC too and I am also confused about the same questions. Have you found some useful information about the E_CO_A and E_CO_BB? I also wonder if your simulation performed well because mine seems like that the biogenic emissions were not included in the chemical reactions (which is really strange)T^T.
    Thank you!
    Wenyu

Rajesh Kumar

Nov 9, 2023, 10:52:27 PM11/9/23
to Wenyu Liu, wrf-chem-anthro_emiss, Yogesh Sathe
Dear Wenyu and Yogesh,

You can ignore these species if you are using chem_opt = 202. They are used in chem_opt = 201 to calculate lumped VOC concentrations as a function of anthropogenic and biomass burning CO emissions. The lumped VOC then reach with OH to produce SOA. This is based on Hodzic and Jimenez, GMD, 2011.

Hope this helps,
Rajesh
--
Rajesh Kumar
Interim Lab Deputy Director

My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obliged to reply to this email outside of your normal working hours.

Wenyu Liu

Nov 15, 2023, 3:40:08 AM11/15/23
to wrf-chem-anthro_emiss, Rajesh Kumar, wrf-chem-anthro_emiss, Yogesh Sathe, Wenyu Liu
Dear Rajesh,
Thank you for the information! I will try to use the chem_opt=202.Thanks~

Wenyu