What is the lates emission inventory for anthropogenic emissions?

Setareh Rahimi

Jan 6, 2024, 12:03:19 PMJan 6
to wrf-chem-anthro_emiss
Dear all,

I need to run the WRF-Chem model for a case study over the year 2021 and need to have the latest anthropogenic emission inventory. Currently, I have an EDGAR emission inventory for the year 2015.  Once I use this emission inventory, the model significantly overestimates SO2 concentration (the SO2 concentration has been reduced recently over my study area, and the  EDGAR emission inventory for the year 2015 does not consider this update)
So may I ask you please to advise me in this regard?

Thanks in advance.

Georgy Nerobelov

Jan 6, 2024, 6:23:12 PMJan 6
to wrf-chem-anthro_emiss, Setareh Rahimi
Dear Setareh Rahimi,

Recently I`ve used a newer version of EDGAR database (EDGARv6.1) which covers a period up to 2018 (see https://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/dataset_ap61).
However, overestimated SO2 concentration can be caused not only by emissions itself, but also by other factors such as a height of emission sources, transport from boundaries (boundary conditions), boundary layer scheme, and others.
If you suppose that the issue is caused by the overestimation of SO2 emissions by the inventory, you can correct the emissions from a particular sources manually using Python scripting.

Respectfully,
Georgy Nerobelov.

Setareh Rahimi

Jan 7, 2024, 1:55:59 AMJan 7
to Georgy Nerobelov, wrf-chem-anthro_emiss
Dear Georgy,

So many thanks for your advice. I checked the website and found the data format in ".Xls". I also checked this link "https://data.jrc.ec.europa.eu/dataset/df521e05-6a3b-461c-965a-b703fb62313e#dataaccess" and have no idea how to download the netCDF format file. May I ask you please to advise me in this regard?

You are right, the overestimated concentration of SO2 may also caused by boundary conditions and boundary layer schemes. I attached my mozbc script which generates initial and boundary conditions for domains (using WACCM data). May I ask you please to have a look at it and advise me if I made any mistake in this case?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards,

--
S.Rahimi

mozbc.inp

Georgy Nerobelov

Jan 7, 2024, 3:22:28 AMJan 7
to wrf-chem-anthro_emiss, Setareh Rahimi
Dear Setareh,

On the website https://edgar.jrc.ec.europa.eu/dataset_ap61 look for sections "Annual gridmaps 1970-2018" or "Annual (and monthly) sector-specific gridmaps" (if you need sector-specific data). In both cases you can find emission data in NetCDF format. The data are presented separately for chemical species and a particular year.

Regarding your mozbc.inp file, it looks OK (at least basic settings and SO2 mapping). You may investigate how SO2 emissions change in the EDGARv6.1 data for the territory of your interest. In addition, you can compare the SO2 emissions by EDGARv5 and EDGARv6.1. This may help to prove the theory about the errors in the data.

Respectfully,
Georgy.

Setareh Rahimi

Jan 7, 2024, 4:15:20 AMJan 7
to Georgy Nerobelov, wrf-chem-anthro_emiss
Dear Georgy,

So many thanks for your help, I found them. However, I wonder how can I map species once data come in sector-specific.
I used EDGAR version 5, and it does not count for each sector. I attached my emiss.inp script which maps anthropogenic species.
Would you please also advise me on how can I map species once using data for each specific sector?

In case I want to use an Anaul grid map data, should I use my script as I used before?
Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
--
S.Rahimi

emiss.inp.txt

Georgy Nerobelov

Jan 9, 2024, 5:46:16 PMJan 9
to wrf-chem-anthro_emiss, Setareh Rahimi
Dear Setareh,

Unfortunately I set up anthro_emis to work with TOTAL emissions only and never specified before the emissions from specific sectors.
To set emissions from a specific sector you can check anthro_emiss readme file (it is called README.anthro_emis and located in anthro_emiss working diretory) and in particular look for the description of a parameter "sub_categories". In your emis.inp file this parameter is set to "TOTAL".

"In case I want to use an Anaul grid map data, should I use my script as I used before?" - if by "script" you mean "emis.inp" file which you sent, then the answer is "yes".
Annual gridmaps present total emissions for a particular chemical species (TOTAL). As I understand this is a sum of sector specific emissions.

Respectfully,
Georgy.