March meeting: on mending with Lauren Callis

Devon Olson

Mar 3, 2021, 10:04:58 AM3/3/21
to Information Maintainers, Lauren Dapena Fraiz, Jordan Hale, Jessica Meyerson, Lauren A Callis
Hello my dear fellow maintainers!

It is my great joy to announce our March speaker: Lauren Callis! Lauren will be speaking with us about garment mending and the maintenance of this traditional skill set, made all the more important as more people seek to consume less and also connect more with their immediate personal worlds. I came across Lauren on social media as I sought to find information on mending for my own personal use, and was (and continually am) impressed with her ability to build community while also concisely communicating and making approachable both the skills to mend and the ecological imperatives behind repairing what we already have. And did I mention that I'm a big fan of her colorful and lively and fun visual style!? Okay, toning it down here. Very excited.

Lauren is the co-founder and executive director of Curiosity Studio, as well as An Upcycled Closet, and art therapist. Her art practice is in painting and fiber arts. An Upcycled Closet's mission is to assist you in developing a closet + home that is functional, sustainable, and expressive. Considering our role in the climate crisis can be daunting and scary. Lauren wants to encourage folks it can be, in fact, beautiful and personal instead. By scaffolding skills and tools, she believes this can also be done affordably and seamlessly within our lives.

Our March meeting will be in a new time slot designed to allow for more folks in time zones outside of the U.S. to attend: March 19th at 9am PST / 11am CST / 12pm EST /5pm GMT / 7am NZDT.

Register here now! (fee goes towards honoraria for speakers)

Hope you all are well,
Devon
Information Maintainers Co-Facilitator