Open-source software, and the community of labour that makes the world go 'round

Jordan Hale

Aug 17, 2020, 1:02:25 PM8/17/20
to Information Maintainers
Dear Information Maintainers,

So far in my fledgling career as a librarian, nothing has humbled me more and given me more respect for the infrastructure that holds our networked world together than moving into a mostly-open-source operational environment. I would have thought that proficiency as a programmer was the #1 factor for success in OS environments, but I’ve since learned that communication and community-building skills – as well as a ton of patience – are what make open source projects thrive. But why don’t you learn about this from someone with far more experience than me? Please join us in conversation...

This month our guest speaker will be Ross Spencer, who will be joining us to discuss working within and maintaining decentralized, small-group systems and development infrastructures in different organizational and national contexts.
Ross has a ten year background in digital preservation, and an off, and now on-again relationship with professional software development. Having spent the last decade putting together bespoke tooling (all open source) for Archives New Zealand, and The National Archives, UK, in pursuit of looking after the archival record. Ross now works for Artefactual Systems Inc. applying some of the knowledge gained in that time to the open source Archivematica system and the various Artefactual clients. Ross now resides in Canada and has a keen interest in staying indoors (but is looking forward to being able to go out again soon along with everybody else). You can find out more about Ross' work via the various links on his blog http://exponentialdecay.co.uk/blog

August 21st at 8am PST / 9am MST / 10am CST / 11am EST / 3pm GMT
Description:https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81790200032 Meeting ID: 817 9020 0032 One tap mobile +13462487799,,81790200032# US (Houston) +12532158782,,81790200032# US (Tacoma) Dial by your location +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 646 558 8656 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown) Meeting ID: 817 9020 0032 Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbpYZXJhKu

My best,
Jordan
Information Maintainers Community Co-Facilitator
---
Jordan Hale (they/them/theirs)
Digital Repositories Librarian, University of Waterloo

Jordan Hale

Aug 19, 2020, 9:26:16 AM8/19/20
to Information Maintainers
Of course, I sent this email out right before I saw the day’s comic from XKCD, which is unbelievably appropriate for this discussion… https://xkcd.com/2347/

Talk to you on Friday!
Jordan
who now needs to plan an upgrade of a mid-sized block in the middle of such a tower
--
This message was generated through one of The Maintainers’ community forums. Learn more about The Maintainers effort and upcoming events at https://themaintainers.org/.
---