Gentle Reminder of CPAAA and Political affiliations

Elizabeth Day {Lake Jackson CPAAA}

Sep 3, 2023, 5:03:51 PM9/3/23
to Region One
Labor Day Salutations and Fall Greetings (I hope)

I received the below email from our Sworn Officer Steven Squire of MCSO for Region One.  It is too important not to share with our membership concerning their status with
IRS status for non-profit groups such as ours.  Steve has graciously given his permission to share with other CPAAA's to use as a template for their organization should they desire to do so.  Thank you Steve! (Sgt Steve now!)

I had to draft this letter in response to one of our members who’s photo was sent to me showing him attending a political fundraiser while wearing the Sheriff’s Office CPA shirt, and a local Constable’s CPA hat.

I decided to reword the letter I sent to my group so it might better reflect the variety of our regional organizations in hopes this might help prevent others from having to deal with this situation.

If you feel it is appropriate, please feel free to forward to the region as a message from their sworn rep.

We have a very clear policy with regards to wearing of the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Citizen Academy Alumni Association uniforms, which we have just polished up in response to a different member who took it upon himself to sew a veteran’s patch on his alumni shirt.  Our policies are public facing on our website here https://www.mcscaaa.org/about-us and we welcome anyone who needs to consider a policy update to view, use or even copy what we have if it helps in any way.

Elizabeth Day

President, Region One

Warning not to work political events in nonprofit gear.pdf