TFX documentation experience

Sascha Heyer

Feb 25, 2021, 8:22:13 AM2/25/21
to TensorFlow Extended (TFX)
Hi TFX Team and Community,

I want to share with you my user experience with the TFX documentation.
Happy to start a joint force to improve the experience if the majority agrees with the following UX flow.

What I was looking for?
  • The Resolver component has multiple strategies. I wanted an overview of all possible strategies.
Approach
  • Go to https://www.tensorflow.org/tfx/api_overview 👍
  • Search for resolver 👍
  • Look for Resolver component results. Unfortunately, there is no way to filter only TFX related results.  👎
    search.png
  • Searching for Resolver TFX solves this but a filter would be great especially with an increasing number of TF libraries
  • With the adapted search query the component is returned unfortunately the first result is the deprecated component 👎. The fifth component is the correct one I was looking forcomponent.png
  • Jumping directly onto that page to hopefully find an answer to my question: What kind of resolver strategies (strategy_class) are supported? Unfortunately, there is no overview on this page. 👎
    https://www.tensorflow.org/tfx/api_docs/python/tfx/dsl/components/common/resolver/Resolver
  • Though there is an example, so I know there is at least a latest_artifacts_strategy.LatestArtifactsStrategy 👍
  • Continue my journey to find all possible Strategies 👎
  • At the top, there is a section that links to the https://www.tensorflow.org/tfx/api_docs/python/tfx/dsl/components/common/resolver/ResolverStrategy
    This page again does not contain an overview of all possible ResolverStrategies 👎
    section.png
  • Continue my journey to find all possible Strategies 👎
  • This page mentions resolver strategy subclasses but does not list them 👎
  • Ok I know there is at least a LatestArtifactsStrategy, so I take this and search for it, hoping I can find other strategies that way. There is one result which only links to the Resolver component page again. 👎
    noresults.png

This is honest feedback and meant as feedback to improve our TensorFlow documentation. This is by no means meant bad.

To summarize
  • It would massively improve our documentation to showcase possible options and classes directly where we use them. Like in our case the Strategies.
  • The component ResolverNode is deprecated and links to Resolver but it seems there is still a lot of information missing.

Best regards
Sascha

Sascha Heyer

Feb 25, 2021, 9:22:48 AM2/25/21
to TensorFlow Extended (TFX), Sascha Heyer
Appendix:
I am aware that this specific component got deprecated 16 days ago.
But I truly believe the documentation needs to go through the same quality requirements like production code does.

Irene Giannoumis

Feb 25, 2021, 10:54:12 AM2/25/21
to Sascha Heyer, Ruoyu Liu, TensorFlow Extended (TFX)
I am sorry for your experience, I have created an internal bug to review this, adding @Ruoyu Liu for Resolver guidance

Adam Wood

Feb 25, 2021, 11:30:45 AM2/25/21
to Irene Giannoumis, Sascha Heyer, Ruoyu Liu, TensorFlow Extended (TFX)
ruoyu@
Would the (long since in progress, but ignored by both of us) ResolverNode guide cover this?
What is the deprecation story for the Resolver component?

Adam Michael Wood | Technical Writer, TensorFlow | adam...@google.com | 617-653-6570

I am a 60% Googler. (Also a parent in a pandemic.)
Please schedule meetings for Mondays or Wednesdays whenever possible.
(I can also take meetings at or after 8pm most nights if it is convenient for you.)

Working hours:
Monday: All day
Wednesday: All day
Tue, Thur, Fri: 9a-12p

Feel free to bug me via DM at any time for things you need.

Adam Wood

Feb 25, 2021, 12:33:09 PM2/25/21
to Ruoyu Liu, Irene Giannoumis, Sascha Heyer, TensorFlow Extended (TFX)
Okay - I'll move this Resolver article up in my priorities and talk to Ruoyu to hammer out technical content details.

Adam Michael Wood | Technical Writer, TensorFlow | adam...@google.com | 617-653-6570

I am a 60% Googler. (Also a parent in a pandemic.)
Please schedule meetings for Mondays or Wednesdays whenever possible.
(I can also take meetings at or after 8pm most nights if it is convenient for you.)

Working hours:
Monday: All day
Wednesday: All day
Tue, Thur, Fri: 9a-12p

Feel free to bug me via DM at any time for things you need.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 8:53 AM Ruoyu Liu <ru...@google.com> wrote:
Re Adam: Yes the ResolverNode guide you are working on should be able to cover this. However, now it should be referred to as `Resolver` after recent renaming.

Re Sascha: Our plan is to have a dedicated guide for people to (1) use Resolver during pipeline authoring time using a couple of default ResolverStrategy classes; and (2) being able to create their own definition of ResolverStrategy if they want to handle the packaging and plug into their pipeline.
--
Best,
Ruoyu

Sascha Heyer

Feb 25, 2021, 1:35:17 PM2/25/21
to TensorFlow Extended (TFX), Adam Wood, Irene, Sascha Heyer, TensorFlow Extended (TFX), Ruoyu Liu
Hi Adam,

@Irene Thanks a lot for your very quick response

@Adam a dedicated guide sounds amazing.
Let me know if there is any way I can support you on that.

Appreciate the work you all doing for TFX, I am a great believer in this product.

Best regards
Sascha

Sascha Heyer

Mar 12, 2021, 3:29:22 PM3/12/21
to TensorFlow Extended (TFX), Sascha Heyer, Adam Wood, Irene, TensorFlow Extended (TFX), Ruoyu Liu
Hi Adam,
Hi Irene,
Hi Ruoyu,

is there a place where I can find all existing strategies?
Can be either code or documentation doesn't matter.

Best regards
Sascha