Motivation for tflite model maker

Ben B

Apr 14, 2021, 9:53:28 AM4/14/21
to TensorFlow Lite
Dear colleagues/friends

I was having a look at TFLite Model Maker and don't understand the motivation for it. It looks to be a subset of Tensorflow, and might not add any extra features (e.g. on device training)?

I guess its main reason to avoid dealing with a larger complex API like tensorflow?

Thanks

Margaret Maynard-Reid

Apr 14, 2021, 10:16:38 AM4/14/21
to Ben B, TensorFlow Lite
Hi Ben,

Model maker makes model training easy - train a model with just a few lines of code with input data from folders of data, TFDS or Kaggle. No need to worry about data preprocessing, how model training or transfer learning works or post processing etc.

Model maker also outputs tflite models with metadata which enables features such as ML Model Binding in Android Studio - inputs a tflite model easily into Android project, and auto-generated code for loading tflite model and run inference etc.

I wrote a two part tutorials earlier last year:
So the purpose of model maker as I see it, is to help app devs with very little ML / TensorFlow experience.

Hope this helps.
Margaret

Ben B

Apr 14, 2021, 12:59:44 PM4/14/21
to TensorFlow Lite, marga...@gmail.com, TensorFlow Lite, Ben B
Thanks Margaret, that’s great, ill take a look

Just a thought about model binding: I used model binding a few months ago, and found that debugging was impossible with it, since you can’t read or put breakpoints on the codegen code (its hidden). Apart from that, it was quite ergonomic. Im not sure if that has been improved on. I prefer the support/task library and tflite code generator now, depending on the task.