[PSA] Deprecation of TFLite Makefile build support

Terry Heo (Woncheol)

Aug 16, 2021, 10:44:36 PM8/16/21
to TensorFlow Lite

Hi everyone,

Historically, Makefile has been used as the second build system of TensorFlow Lite where Bazel is not available. In TensorFlow 2.4, we introduced CMake build support and it's been improved so far. Since the feature is mature enough and it has more features than Makefile so we decided to deprecate Makefile support of TensorFlow Lite.

With the coming TensorFlow 2.7 release, Makefile build is no longer supported for TensorFlow Lite. Users need to migrate their build system to CMake or Bazel.

* NOTE: This is only for TensorFlow Lite and doesn't affect for TensorFlow Lite for Microcontrollers

CMake is easy to use and supports multi platforms like Android, Linux, macOS, and Windows. It supports OpenGL delegate and XNNPACK delegate. Cross compilation is also available with CMake.

There are several guides available on this.

It's already deprecated with the master branch and it will be the default in the release of TensorFlow 2.7.

Feedback

For any issues with CMake, please create a GitHub issue with the component label "comp:lite". Please include:

  • Command used to configure CMake
  • The output from build system
  • CMake version
  • Toolchain version if you used a custom toolchain
  • Target hardware & OS information for cross compilation

Thanks,
Terry Heo, on behalf of the TensorFlow Lite team