3rd party datatable request

Chris Vinson

Mar 4, 2019, 1:04:37 PM3/4/19
to SIG TensorBoard
Hello fellow TensorBoarders,

Last time we met, there was a demo of a Vaadin Grid in a new, upcoming HParams TB plugin.  It looked nice.
I'm in need of a nice 3rd party "datatable" to be used inside of TensorBoard: I'm currently using google charts v1x, but it has some significant shortcomings.

I'm writing with a few questions about the demo:
  1) What version polymer is being used?  What is the roadmap for Polymer in TensorBoard?
  2) What version of the Vaadin-grid was being used in the demo?  I think I remember v3.0.2.  I tried Vaadin Grid v2x inside TB unsuccessfully.
  3) Is there a way you could share the source and configuration of Vaadin-grid or HParams plugin before release?

Any tips and/or tutorials on TB plugin development would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Chris

William Chargin

Mar 4, 2019, 3:59:15 PM3/4/19
to Chris Vinson, SIG TensorBoard
Hi Chris,

> 1) What version polymer is being used? What is the roadmap for
> Polymer in TensorBoard?

We currently use Polymer 1.x (looks like v1.11.3 specifically). We plan
to upgrade to Polymer 2 by the end of Q2 2019, and likely to Polymer 3
soon after.

> 2) What version of the Vaadin-grid was being used in the demo? I
> think I remember v3.0.2. I tried Vaadin Grid v2x inside TB
> unsuccessfully.

vaadin-grid==3.0.2, vaadin-split-layout==1.1.0

> 3) Is there a way you could share the source and configuration of
> Vaadin-grid or HParams plugin before release?

Though we haven’t yet fanfared the hparams plugin, the code is in
TensorBoard master, so you’re welcome to check out its use of
vaadin-grid and depend on those targets directly. See:
<https://github.com/tensorflow/tensorboard/blob/b0d4a2cf29adb5816739fdbfb53589e32d48ae2a/tensorboard/components/tf_imports/BUILD#L167-L185>

> Any tips and/or tutorials on TB plugin development would be
> appreciated!

We were just talking about this internally today, in fact. This is
something that we want to prioritize after the TF Dev Summit: what it
should mean to be a TensorBoard plugin in terms of an end-to-end
experience, how plugins can be easily packaged and distributed, etc.
We’ll keep you posted.

Best,
WC