Announcing OpenXLA (also moving tensorflow/compiler/mlir/hlo)

Mehdi Amini

Jul 25, 2022, 2:42:56 PM7/25/22
to MLIR
Hi all,

We announced our plans for OpenXLA: https://discuss.tensorflow.org/t/rfc-establish-sig-openxla/10981 ;  we're very excited about this effort and what it will open up for ML compiler collaboration!
MLIR/LLVM remains a central place to contribute, but right now the XLA APIs and (M)HLO seem like the best established abstractions to expose target-independent code generation facilities to ML frameworks, and we want to continue to leverage them.

In the coming months we'll reorganize the repository inside TensorFlow to prepare to split XLA into a separate repository on GitHub. This includes also the codebase that is right now under tensorflow/compiler/mlir/hlo and also exported as https://github.com/tensorflow/mlir-hlo

The preparatory steps involve removing dependencies from tensorflow/compiler/xla/ on the rest of TensorFlow, and one of these step will will be to move tensorflow/compiler/mlir/hlo to tensorflow/compiler/xla/mlir_hlo

The content of https://github.com/tensorflow/mlir-hlo stays completely unchanged by this move right now, any plans to change it in the future will be published here ahead of time.

Cheers,

--
Mehdi

Alexander Belyaev

Jul 25, 2022, 3:50:35 PM7/25/22
to Mehdi Amini, MLIR
Nice! I am excited to see it happening.

Xiaoyong Liu

Aug 1, 2022, 7:15:51 PM8/1/22
to MLIR, pi...@google.com, MLIR, ami...@google.com
Excited! One input is to separate the compiler/runtime/api, instead of mix of them together.

Mehdi AMINI

Aug 2, 2022, 4:43:58 AM8/2/22
to Xiaoyong Liu, MLIR
Hi Xiaoyong,

Do you already have some more concrete thoughts on this? I'd be interested to think about what we can do along these lines!

Thanks,

--
Mehdi

Mehdi AMINI