Glossary for MLIR-specific terminology?

Lucy Fox

Nov 4, 2019, 6:58:06 PM11/4/19
to ml...@tensorflow.org
Hi,

I'd like to propose the addition of a glossary to the MLIR documentation.

I was trying to find a definition of "round-trip", as it's a term that's used several times in the MLIR documentation, with no real success. AFAIK, this isn't a term that's well-defined in the compiler community at large, but it does have a clear definition within the MLIR community.

AFAICT, the most logical place in the existing documentation to integrate this information is in the LangRef. That seems okay as an ad-hoc solution for this single term, but general terminology doesn't quite logically fit there, and it won't scale well if there are other terms that should be added.

I propose adding a glossary to our documentation, especially if others can think of MLIR-specific terms that should be defined there. This shouldn't veer into defining more general compiler terminology, as that is available elsewhere.

Thoughts? Are there terms others can think of that should be in an MLIR glossary?

Lucy

Geoffrey Martin-Noble

Nov 4, 2019, 7:55:42 PM11/4/19
to Lucy Fox, ml...@tensorflow.org
This sounds like a great idea to me :-) As someone who works adjacent to the MLIR team but wasn't around for much of the initial work, a glossary would be super helpful.

River Riddle

Nov 4, 2019, 8:05:06 PM11/4/19
to Geoffrey Martin-Noble, Lucy Fox, MLIR
I'm +1 on having a glossary, but it shouldn't be in LangRef. We can likely just have a side document like LLVM does:

-- River

Jacques Pienaar

Nov 4, 2019, 8:10:15 PM11/4/19
to River Riddle, Geoffrey Martin-Noble, Lucy Fox, MLIR
+1 glossaries always welcome for project specific terms.

(also I didn't think of roundtrip as MLIR specific, I thought of it having the normal dictionary definition of "there and back again" as one would have when booking a flight :)).

Lucy Fox

Nov 4, 2019, 8:41:59 PM11/4/19
to MLIR

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-8, Jacques Pienaar wrote:
+1 glossaries always welcome for project specific terms.

(also I didn't think of roundtrip as MLIR specific, I thought of it having the normal dictionary definition of "there and back again" as one would have when booking a flight :)).

Definitely makes sense once you know what it means, although to me it wasn't immediately evident - the question that it leaves is "to where?" :)

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 5:05 PM 'River Riddle' via MLIR <ml...@tensorflow.org> wrote:
I'm +1 on having a glossary, but it shouldn't be in LangRef. We can likely just have a side document like LLVM does:

Agreed.

-- River

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019, 15:58 'Lucy Fox' via MLIR <ml...@tensorflow.org> wrote:
[...]

Jeff Niu

Nov 4, 2019, 8:57:55 PM11/4/19
to Lucy Fox, ml...@tensorflow.org
Yes! This was a barrier for me too when I was first working with MLIR.

Sean Silva

Nov 4, 2019, 9:00:59 PM11/4/19
to MLIR

On Monday, November 4, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-8, Jacques Pienaar wrote:
+1 glossaries always welcome for project specific terms.

(also I didn't think of roundtrip as MLIR specific, I thought of it having the normal dictionary definition of "there and back again" as one would have when booking a flight :)).

There's also a some larger context around it besides the dictionary definition. MLIR is multi-level, allowing us to have "dumb importers", at which point round-tripping becomes a very interesting and effective testing strategy.

-- Sean Silva

[...]

Lucy Fox

Nov 4, 2019, 9:42:25 PM11/4/19
to Sean Silva, Jeff Niu, Geoffrey Martin-Noble, MLIR
+Jeff Niu and +Geoffrey Martin-Noble (and anyone else), can you think of some specific terms that would be good to include?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/tensorflow.org/d/msgid/mlir/fb0ee7df-e5ef-4433-8a64-77d737e0719b%40tensorflow.org.

Alex Zinenko

Nov 5, 2019, 11:43:58 AM11/5/19
to Lucy Fox, Sean Silva, Jeff Niu, Geoffrey Martin-Noble, MLIR
"Op".
And the difference between "conversion" (dialect-to-dialect) and "translation" (external IR to MLIR or the inverse).

--
-- Alex

Lucy Fox

Nov 13, 2019, 2:17:16 PM11/13/19
to Alex Zinenko, Sean Silva, Jeff Niu, Geoffrey Martin-Noble, MLIR
We've started a glossary here: https://github.com/tensorflow/mlir/blob/master/g3doc/Glossary.md

This isn't comprehensive at the moment and should be treated as a living document. :) Feel free to make modifications to the definitions and add new terms as they come up.

Lucy