Are the tensorflow/lite/micro/tools/make/targets staying in the long term?

Michael O'Cleirigh

Dec 10, 2021, 12:04:18 AM12/10/21
to SIG Micro
Hello,

I've updated to the latest tensorflow lite micro and for esp32 the create_tflm_tree.py --makefile_options no longer work because tensorflow/lite/micro/tools/make/targets/esp_makefile.inc was deleted here:

commit 66cfa623cbe1c1ae3fcc8a4903e9fed1a345548a
Author: Advait Jain <advai...@users.noreply.github.com>
Date:   Mon Nov 8 18:48:15 2021 -0800

    With #662, ESP examples are now in a standalone github repository. (#664)

    BUG=#407

<< cut other files not applicable to this question >>
D       tensorflow/lite/micro/tools/make/targets/esp_makefile.inc

I see that the makefile_options still work for the for cortex m soc's (it worked fine for rp2040 cortex M0).

Is the esp target removed because there are no custom kernels for esp32? or is the entire directory going away in one of the next clean up steps?

I'm considering writing a custom esp32 l2_pool_2d op to work around the insn compiler bug in the reference implementation.

If  were to add a custom esp32 op would it be ok to add that file back or is the logic for using the specialized ops being folded into the create_tflm_tree.py script?

Thanks,

Michael

Advait Jain

Dec 10, 2021, 7:13:19 PM12/10/21
to Michael O'Cleirigh, Vikram Dattu, SIG Micro
You're right, the current ESP target was removed because there are no custom esp kernels. If you go down that path then we can certainly bring that back.

It would be good to coordinate with +Vikram Dattu on that. We will only have a single esp directory (similar to xtensa, cmsis_nn, ceva ...).

Michael O'Cleirigh

Dec 11, 2021, 11:36:24 AM12/11/21
to SIG Micro, Advait Jain, SIG Micro, Michael O'Cleirigh, Vikram Dattu
Thanks for confirming that esp_makefile.inc could be brought back for custom esp kernels.

I'm following up with Vikram off list to coordinate an approach.

Regards,

Michael

Vikram Dattu

Dec 13, 2021, 12:37:22 AM12/13/21
to SIG Micro, michael....@gmail.com, advai...@google.com, SIG Micro, Vikram Dattu
Hi Advait and Michael

1. I am working on adding Espressif specific kernel files. Since, anyway the esp specific repo is separate, I am adding those directly here(not public yet): https://github.com/espressif/tflite-micro-esp-examples/tree/master/components ! This would have skipped tflite-micro path and need for Makefile.
2. If we want to make use of esp_makefile and options, please go ahead and add it back. I can always make use of that and modify my code. This seems more flexible and also be similar to other platforms!

Thanks,
Vikram
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to micro+un...@tensorflow.org.