Introducing Clip Evolver & DDSP Stereo Update

Josh

May 18, 2021, 5:18:38 PM5/18/21
to Magenta Discuss
Hello Magenta team and community, I am introducing Clip Evolver, a new Max for Live device using Magenta.js’ MusicRNN and MusicVAE algorithms. It’s a performance tool which updates a looping MIDI clip regularly by interpolating between continued sequences. It features a pitch/octave filter and velocity/probability sliders. It can be downloaded here:

https://github.com/FlexCouncil/Clip-Evolver

Would it be possible to integrate the trained models within the amxd file itself (eliminating the need for an Internet connection during performance?) Sometimes I get a “socket hang up” error when trying to fetch the checkpoint. I downloaded the models to my local machine but I couldn’t figure out how to call them from the code. Also, is there a JavaScript implementation of Music Transformer? That might give better results than MusicRNN+MusicVAE.

To run the device, drag the Clip-Evolver.amxd file into your Live track and select the “Power” button—click the “Restart” button if the device hasn’t started working after about a minute. One caveat: unfreezing the device in the Max editor breaks the reference to the Node script, but you can still edit the unfrozen version (https://github.com/FlexCouncil/Clip-Evolver/blob/main/Clip-Evolver-Unrozen.zip).

I’ve also been working on an update to the 48kHz/stereo version of DDSP. Sorry this update took so long—it took a while to get the details right. Here’s the gin file:

https://github.com/FlexCouncil/gin/blob/main/solo_instrument_noz.gin

And the Colab notebook:

https://colab.research.google.com/github/FlexCouncil/DDSP-48kHz-Stereo/blob/master/ddsp/colab/ddsp_48kHz_stereo1.ipynb

Anyway, I can’t wait for the DDSP plug-in. Thanks for all the great code!

Josh

Jesse Engel

May 25, 2021, 6:27:35 PM5/25/21
to Josh, Magenta Discuss
Cool stuff Josh, thanks for sharing! We're excited for the DDSP plugin too, just working on squashing some bugs and UI/UX at the moment.

Cheers,
Jesse

--
Magenta project: magenta.tensorflow.org

Josh

May 26, 2021, 2:01:53 PM5/26/21
to Magenta Discuss, Jesse Engel, Magenta Discuss, Josh
Thank you, Jesse, good luck with your bug squashing.

Josh