Music + AI Reading Group @ Mila x Vector Institute

Sonnery Hugo

Feb 24, 2022, 5:50:56 PM2/24/22
to Magenta Discuss
🎹🧠🚨Online Music + AI Reading Group @ Mila x Vector Institute 🎹🧠🚨

Dear members of the Google Magenta Community,

Together with fellow researchers at Mila (the Québec AI Institute) in Montréal, canada, we have the pleasure of inviting you to join the Music + AI Reading Group @ Mila x Vector Institute. Our reading group gathers every Friday at 2pm Eastern Time. Our purpose is to build an interdisciplinary forum of researchers, students and professors alike, across industry and academia, working at the intersection of Music and Machine Learning.

We have the pleasure of welcoming two researchers from Google Magenta in the upcoming weeks, including Ethan Manilow (Improving Source Separation by Explicitly Modeling Dependencies Between Sources) and Josh Gardner (MT3: Multi-Task Multitrack Music Transcription).

During each meeting, a speaker presents a research paper of their choice during 45’, leaving 15 minutes for questions and discussion. The purpose of the reading group is to :
- Gather a group of Music+AI/HCI/others people to share their research, build collaborations, and meet peer students. We are not constrained to any specific research directions, and all people are welcome to contribute.
- People share research ideas and brainstorm with others.
- Researchers not actively working on music-related topics but interested in the field can join and keep up with the latest research in the area, sharing their thoughts and bringing in their own backgrounds.

🚨 --> Our next meeting will be on Friday 04th March, 2pm ET where Timothy De Reuse (DDMAL / McGill University) will present his work on Error Detection in Symbolic Music
for OMR Preprocessing. 🚨

Our topics of interest cover (beware : the list is not exhaustive !) :
🎹 Music Generation
🧠 Music Understanding
📇 Music Recommendation
🗣  Source Separation and Instrument Recognition
🎛  Acoustics
🗿 Digital Humanities ...
🙌  ... and more (we are waiting for you :]) !

Here is the link to our Youtube Channel where you’ll find recordings of our past meetings : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdrzCFRsIFGw2fiItAk5_Og.
Here are general information about the reading group (presentation slides) : https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zkqooIksXDuD4rI2wVXiXZQmXXiAedtsAqcicgiNYLY/edit?usp=sharing.

Finally, if you would like to contribute and give a talk about your own research, feel free to fill in the following spreadhseet in the slot of your choice ! —> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1skb83P8I30XHmjnmyEbPAboy3Lrtavt_jHrD-9Q5U44/edit?usp=sharing.

We hope to see you soon in our meetings !

Sincerely yours,

Hugo Sonnery & Yusong Wu
Student organizers