Ableton AI drum machine (with drum kit RNN and music VAE)

Tomas Lawton

Apr 4, 2021, 4:01:51 AM4/4/21
to Magenta Discuss
Hey friends!

For my personal project at university, I created an AI drum machine plugin for Ableton using M4L, Node, Electron and Magenta.js. It can autocomplete idea segments and also create inspiration for surprising beats in a way that is synchronous with composer mental models within Ableton.

Abstract: AutoBeat is a project focusing on the creation of conceptual models to design artificially intelligent co-creative systems for music composition, and the application of these models to build a novel AI drum machine. The design phase involves exploration of the problem and its interaction paradigms, followed by iteration of possible machine learning concepts. The development phase converts the final concept into an integrated MIDI plugin by prototyping the frontend UI in Figma and implementing a functional pipeline with Electron, Node, Max and the Live Object Model. Validation will continue as an online open-source repository and through user studies in 2021.

Josh

Apr 7, 2021, 5:22:14 PM4/7/21
to Magenta Discuss, tomas...@gmail.com
This is really cool. I am working on something similar but on the melodic side, using the Max for Live UI directly.