Release of tensorflow-io v0.16.0

Yong Tang

Nov 3, 2020, 12:52:27 PM11/3/20
to SIG IO
Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of tensorflow-io v0.16.0, available through PyPI.org (`pip install tensorflow-io`)

The v0.16.0 release is compatible with the TF 2.3, and comes with new exciting features such as experimental KakfaBatchIODataset for online learning with Apache Kafka, initial ElasticSearch dataset input support, arbitrary dimensional support for `decode_json`, etc.

Note we will release 0.17.0 soon to support the upcoming TF 2.4 once it is out.

tensorflow-io v0.16.0 support python 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 on Linux/macOS/Windows. Note python 3.5 support has been dropped as it reached EOL.

All python wheel packages are available to be installed with:
```
pip install tensorflow-io[==version]
```

Please see more details from the release notes at the end of the email.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to and supported these releases!

# Release 0.16.0

## Major Features
* Added support for stream timeout in KafkaGroupIODataset
* Renamed gstpufs to gsmemcachedfs
* Added experimental KakfaBatchIODataset for online learning
* Added gabor/laplacian/gaussian filter support
* Added basic Arrow string type support for BigQuery reader
* Added ElasticSearch dataset support
* Added Prewitt and Sobel filter support
* Added arbitary dimensional support for `decode_json`
* Added bool data type support for `decode_json`
* Added tutorials for Kafka and ElasticSearch usage with tf.keras.
* Containers of tensorflow-io releases are available
  at `docker pull tfsigio/tfio`.

## Thanks to our Contributors

This release contains contributions from many people:

Aleksey Vlasenko, Daniel, Kota Yamaguchi, Mark Daoust,
Michael Kuchnik, Vignesh Kothapalli, Yong Tang, Yuan Tang,
emkornfield, marioecd

We are also grateful to all who filed issues or helped resolve them, asked and
answered questions, and were part of inspiring discussions.