Keras project moved to new repository in https://github.com/keras-team/keras

Scott Zhu

Jun 15, 2021, 5:03:04 PM6/15/21
to TensorFlow Developers, keras-team

Dear TF and Keras users:

We've spent a lot of effort making TensorFlow more modular and optimizing the dependency surface between Keras and TensorFlow. One of the milestones we've reached is that Keras code is being split to its own repository, github.com/keras-team/keras (more details about the move can be found in the RFC). This enables Keras to use the Tensorflow Python API as a PIP package dependency without having to compile TensorFlow when building and testing. One of the biggest benefits of this change is that running Keras Bazel tests locally now only takes a few minutes, instead of several hours (mostly spent compiling Tensorflow).

With this change, the current code under the TensorFlow directory tensorflow/python/keras will become a stale copy and will soon be removed. Here's what this means for you:

1. Any new Keras PR or issue should be open in github.com/keras-team/keras, instead of github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow. Keras development is fully moving to github.com/keras-team/keras.

2. Any previously outstanding active Keras-related PR in github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow will be merged manually into github.com/keras-team/keras after approval (Keras team members will do the sync and merge internally, no action needed on the author's side). However, if the PR has been open for a long time and lacks activity from the author, we may simply close it.

3. Any previously outstanding active Keras-related issue in github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow will be handled in the existing ticket thread, and will be fixed via commits to github.com/keras-team/keras.

4. Stale Keras-related issues in github.com/tensorflow/tensorflow will be closed. If still relevant, feel free to reopen the issue in github.com/keras-team/keras instead.

5. Any previously outstanding PR/issue in github.com/keras-team/keras is stale and will be closed.

For more information, please take a look at the Keras contribution guidelines.

We hope these changes will provide a better user experience for developers and contributors of TensorFlow and Keras.

Thanks!

Scott Zhu, on behalf of the Keras team.