Feature Selection High Dimensional Data

Sarthak Kala

Sep 21, 2022, 9:54:52 AM9/21/22
to TensorFlow Probability
I am using PyMC to create MAP estimate with a Laplace prior on weights (Lasso regression), it is shrinking coefficients close to zero but not getting exactly sparse coefficients. I am working with a high dimensional data (>100 columns), even after Laplace prior condition getting 28 columns. Is there any other way to reduce the features ?

Colin Carroll

Sep 21, 2022, 10:26:24 AM9/21/22
to TensorFlow Probability, sarthak...@gmail.com
The PyMC MAP estimate is a thin wrapper around `scipy.minimize` to optimize your log probability (using L-BFGS-B, unless you have discrete variables, then it uses Powell).

Do you have a reason to believe 28 non-zero columns is too many?

If you are using version 4 of PyMC, you might use

```
from pymc import sampling_jax

with pm.Model():
    ... define your model...
    jax_logp = sampling_jax.get_jaxified_logp()
```
Then look at a library like JAXopt to have more control over the optimization of the log probability.

Sarthak Kala

Sep 22, 2022, 4:35:40 AM9/22/22
to TensorFlow Probability, colca...@google.com, Sarthak Kala
Yes, I have a reason to believe 28 features are way too high. It should be around 5-7 features only.

Mike Lawrence

Sep 22, 2022, 8:04:52 AM9/22/22
to Sarthak Kala, TensorFlow Probability, colca...@google.com
Check out the Finnish Horseshoe prior?