MLIR Visualizations

Freyam Mehta

Oct 4, 2021, 5:29:11 AM10/4/21
to MLIR

Hi, I am interested in working on the Open Project titled “MLIR Visualizations”.

MLIR allows for representing multiple levels of abstraction all together in the same IR/function. Visualizing MLIR modules therefore requires going beyond visualizing a graph of nodes all at the same level (which is not trivial in and of itself!), nor is it specific to Machine Learning. Beyond visualizing a MLIR module, there is also visualizing MLIR itself that is of interest. In particular, visualizing the rewrite rules, visualizing the matching process (including the failure to match, sort of like https://www.debuggex.com/ 7 but for declarative rewrites), considering effects of rewrites over time, etc.

The visualizations should all be built with open source components but whether standalone (e.g., combining with, say, GraphViz to generate offline images) or dynamic tools (e.g., displayed in browser) is open for discussion. It should be usable completely offline in either case.

We will be working with interested students to refine the exact project based on interests given the wide scope of potential approaches. And open to proposals within this general area.

(Source: Open Projects - MLIR 5)

Would like to discuss ideas and demonstrate some examples and gather opinions.

Some points of discussion:

  • Best way to visualize the Input-Output DAGs.
  • What features of the graphs can be modified to show useful information?
  • What constitutes “useful” information? What would the users like to know about the rewrite process?

Freyam Mehta

Oct 4, 2021, 5:31:00 AM10/4/21
to MLIR, Freyam Mehta
I would like to discuss this in the upcoming Weekly Public Meeting on 7th October.

Anush Elangovan

Oct 4, 2021, 1:59:05 PM10/4/21
to Freyam Mehta, MLIR, Sean Silva
Freyam,

This week we were going to talk about torch-mlir so maybe the following week ?

Thanks

Freyam Mehta

Oct 4, 2021, 2:00:44 PM10/4/21
to Anush Elangovan, MLIR, Sean Silva
Sounds good, thanks!
14th October it is⭐.

Freyam Mehta

Oct 14, 2021, 3:34:46 AM10/14/21
to MLIR, Freyam Mehta, MLIR, silv...@google.com, Anush Elangovan, Jacques Pienaar
Hi everyone.

I have added MLIR Visualizations in the Google Doc as today's agenda.
Does that work?

cc: Jacques.

Regards,
Freyam

Jacques Pienaar

Oct 14, 2021, 11:20:16 AM10/14/21
to Freyam Mehta, MLIR, silv...@google.com, Anush Elangovan
Perfect, yes Mehdi I think sent out an email about this too.

Looking forward to it later today!