Block Floating Point Support

Andrew Stanford-Jason

Jun 18, 2021, 3:49:06 AM6/18/21
to SIG Micro
Hello all, I am interested in the possibility of supporting block floating point(BFP) representation of data/dynamic tensors. To be clear BFP is a quantisation representation where a tensor has a single floating point exponent for all elements. This is in contrast to floating point tensors where each element has an exponent and fixed point where all elements have a static exponent(typically common to all elements).

My interests lie in supporting more traditional DSP through tflm. I would like to express, for example, an audio frontend, which can have enormous dynamic range, in TensorFlow. Using BFP allows much more efficient computation. Acoustic echo cancellation is a good example of where the signal of interest can be 60dB beneath the input signal(~10bits down).

I have plenty of experience implementing BFP DSP functions. From a high level BFP implementations of kernels are fixed point kernels with redundant sign bits and exponent management, i.e. they are implementable with integer arithmetic.

So my questions are:
  • is this possible?
  • is anyone else interested in this?
  • is this a roadmap feature?
  • if not then what's the process? RFC?
Thank you
asj

Advait Jain

Jun 18, 2021, 1:03:03 PM6/18/21
to Andrew Stanford-Jason, tfl...@tensorflow.org, SIG Micro
Adding the tflite mailing list to this conversation.