Clearing traced function cache

jonas....@cern.ch

Feb 14, 2022, 1:55:44 PM2/14/22
to Discuss
 Hi all,
first off, thanks a lot for all the efforts and the great work, it's a pleasure to use TensorFlow!

Is there a public way to clear/invalidate the traced functions? In order to a) retrace it (with a changed Python state) and b) clear up the memory

The use-case is that a function is sometimes (Python) state based and therefore one would need to retrace it, basically invalidating the old trace and removing it.

I am aware that there are often ways around such a design, but sometimes there are None: if you build a model that depends on Python variable and run this a couple of times. Manually keeping track of changes is one thing (this is up to the user, clearly) but we cannot simply check for re-tracing _in general_ (since this would mean that we would also need to handle the re-tracing logic of Tensors).

How could we go about clearing the traced functions?

Best,
Jonas

Rohan Jain

Feb 28, 2022, 1:15:09 AM2/28/22
to Dan Moldovan, Faizan Muhammad, jonas....@cern.ch, Discuss
Faizan and Dan have done some recent work in this area that can help you.

Rohan

A K

Aug 3, 2022, 4:57:48 PM8/3/22
to Discuss, roh...@google.com, Discuss, Dan Moldovan, Faizan Muhammad, jonas....@cern.ch
Hi All, is there a response or a solution to this problem?
This memory leak (and maybe other ones) prevent using Tensorflow in production.
Thanks.

Mark Knecht

Aug 3, 2022, 5:25:03 PM8/3/22
to A K, Discuss, roh...@google.com, Dan Moldovan, Faizan Muhammad, jonas....@cern.ch
Is this list even alive? I haven't seen any messages since last May and very little traffic since last year.

- Mark

Jiri Simsa

Aug 3, 2022, 6:43:30 PM8/3/22
to Mark Knecht, A K, Discuss, roh...@google.com, Dan Moldovan, Faizan Muhammad, jonas....@cern.ch