Doe this work for .NET application?

Andy

Jan 28, 2021, 10:22:03 AM1/28/21
to JNIWrapper Forum
I see com type applications typically mentioned with JNI.
I need a wrapper for .dll for a .NET application. Will this work?

Natasha Dmitrieva

Jan 28, 2021, 11:28:16 AM1/28/21
to Andy, Customer Care
Hi Andy,
Thank you for contacting us.

Could you please clarify the approach you are trying to implement? Is it correct that you are trying to connect .NET and Java applications via COM?

This is possible in general, as .NET Framework itself has built-in COM support — COM Interop. After exposing the assembly via COM interop, you can consume it on the Java side. For this purpose, you can try our ComfyJ product.

Best regards,
Natasha Dmitrieva

Customer Service Manager | TeamDev
Phone+380 57 766-4300
teamdev.com

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 5:22 PM Andy <andrew...@gmail.com> wrote:
I see com type applications typically mentioned with JNI.
I need a wrapper for .dll for a .NET application. Will this work?

Andy

Jan 28, 2021, 11:42:44 AM1/28/21
to JNIWrapper Forum, natasha.dmitrieva, Customer Care, Andy
It is correct that I am trying to connect .NET and Java. I don't know anything about com vs .net... I am pretty much Java only. Here is what the documentation says on the matter. I'm not sure if this means there is no longer COM Interop??

In older versions of xxxx, .NET languages like Visual Basic and C# accessed the native DLL APIs through a COM object.
** The COM object has been deprecated, and is no longer supported **

Natasha Dmitrieva

Jan 28, 2021, 12:15:29 PM1/28/21
to Andy, Customer Care
Hi Andy,
Thank you for your reply!

According to this article, even the latest .NET 5 runtime is able to work with COM Interop:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/improvements-in-native-code-interop-in-net-5-0/#low-level-apis-for-interaction-with-the-built-in-interop-system
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/native-interop/cominterop

Could you please provide the reference to the documentation you have mentioned?

By the way, is it possible to specify the .NET version that is used in your application?

Sincerely,
Natasha