New sustainability award opportunity

John Swanson

Mar 3, 2024, 4:15:04 PMMar 3
to Edat
Hi EdAT members:

I've been meeting with the School District Administration and the Corvalllis School District Foundation to explore the viability of establishing a district sustainability award. A plan is emerging for a "Green Apple Award" to be given to the district teacher/staff member who makes a significant contribution to advance the district's sustainability goals. It would be modeled after and accompany the annual "Golden Apple" awards. It involves establishing a $20,000 endowment fund (minimum allowed for an endowment) that would cover the cost of the annual monetary award. Endowments are set up to last in perpetuity and require no additional funding.

Why establish this award? It supports district culture change by making sustainabiltiy a central feature of its identity, values and practices. It will encourage and reward teachers/staff who advance sustainability in the district. The promotion of the award will put the spotlight on sustainability both within the district and in the Corvallis community. The award will strengthen the partnership between the district and our community (Sustainability Coalition and others) who support the award.

Before moving ahead to complete an Endowment Agreement, I need to find out if there is enough interest amongst the sustainability community (individuals and organizations) to raise the $20,000. If I hear from enough folks who would be willing to commit money, then we can move ahead with planning for the award, and the launch of a fundraising campaign. With the assistance of the Foundation, donating is made easy for folks. I will be meeting with Annette to explore ways the Coalition might help raise the money. An enthusiastic EdAT team would be a helpful indicator of whether or not to proceed.

The Ask: Please let me know if you are willing to financially support the establishment of the endowment for a Green Apple Award. Spread the word and have other folks contact me. Let me know if you would be willing to help organize a fundraising campaign.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

John Swanson