March meeting notes

Ashley Merback

Mar 10, 2020, 7:43:29 PM3/10/20
to education-...@sustainablecorvallis.org
Thanks to those of you for coming to the meeting on Friday!  I am super inspired by the awesome work that is getting done in our community!

Some notes from our meeting:
  • Ruth Johns and Bailey attended the Green Schools Conference for High Schools last week.  14 students from our area enjoyed a really awesome experience
  • Emily Olivo filled us in on a grant the CEC was awarded to provide Tasting Tables and Garden classes to 5 schools in our district and in Philomath
    • The CEC is looking for two garden coordinators, one of which needs to be bilingual.  Spread the word!
  • Rachel Kirby will forward us a picture of a bottle cap art project the Adams Elementary green team has been working on.  They are planning a really great assembly to celebrate the 50th ever Earth Day where they will also be planting a Ginko Peace Tree from Japan!! Awesome!
  • Bailey informed us that Lincoln Elementary will start composting their lunch food waste.  The effort has been spearheaded by their Sustainability Leader, Aaron Lesan from our team and Bailey.   Great work!
  • Ashley -Wilson Elementary Green team is making a video on Recycling to share at an assembly on Earth Day!  Their garden group will kick off at the beginning of April.

Some dates to be aware of:

  • April 8 at 3:30pm there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony for the new solar panels at the district office.  This is super exciting work done by Annette Mills and others.  If you can come to support that, please do!
  • Thursday April, 9th 2:30-3:30pm we will visit the Adams Elementary Garden Group. The garden group is lead by a seasoned expert who has been running this program for 8+ years, Master Gardener, Nellie Oehlson.  Rachel says they have a great thing going there and we should come out and take a look.