Commending Superintendent Noss & School Board for Advancing Sustainability in Our District

John Swanson

Mar 1, 2024, 3:11:31 PMMar 1
to 509J School Board, Edat, kim.p...@corvallis.k12.or.us, Kathy Feser, Ryan Noss
Superintendent Noss and the Corvallis School Board:

I'm delighted, along with other members of the Corvallis sustainability community, to see that the current version of the 2023-2029 School Board Goals includes ecoliteracy as a strategy under Goal #3. Importantly, the implementation of these goals is spelled out in more detail in the district's recently passed Sustainability Management Plan. Also, I commend the district for maintaining its sustainability position during these hard financial times. Kathy Feser, working with Kim Patton, has been doing great work. The ongoing support and guidance from the Brendle Group continues to help the district make progress. I'm delighted that sustainability will be preparing our students to meet the challenges of climate change in their classrooms as leadership helps connect teachers with the curriculum resources they need. Bravo.

As a result of your good work, our district will be much better positioned to benefit from state and federal funding opportunities as a district that has already embraced sustainability. Our students will be primed to develop their science, math, reading, research, and critical thinking skills in the context of learning to be good, empowered citizens by gaining practical knowledge about the human-earth relationship.

Dr.Asmeret Asefaw Berhe, Director of the Office of Science at the US Department of Energy,  in her Ted Talk “We Actually Have a Shot at Stopping the Climate Crisis,” offers a compelling vision of how to move forward with this work:

"In order to have a shot at stopping the climate crisis, we need major breakthroughs across multiple arenas, and we need it fast. So how do we go about this? Energy Earthshots. The Biden-Harris administration's Earthshot initiative is inspired by President Kennedy's Moonshot initiative that aimed to land a man on the moon. I think that's a perfect model for what we need to achieve here.  . . .   It required an all-hands-on-deck approach that included government, included educators, private sector, industry and, of course, scientists and engineers and more.

But to realize all these benefits, we need to make sure that people from all walks of life are at the table when critical decisions are being made about our climate goals and how we achieve these goals. For me, as an academic, and now a leader for a major science agency for the nation, this means we need to significantly revamp our support for broadening participation efforts in STEM (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). We need to continue to contribute towards building a vibrant STEM workforce for the nation. A workforce that will abide by principles of environmental justice at every step of the process. We need this to make sure that the science we're enabling works for society."

Including ecoliteracy in both the district's Board Goals and Sustainability Management Plan are crucial steps in making our district part of the solution to the climate crisis. Taking the next step, Dr. Berhe describes the crucial role educators have as part of this work, giving the district a focused pathway forward that is doable and offers a positive outlook for the future.

With appreciation for your good work,

John Swanson
Grandparent of a Corvallis School District 4th grader
Citizen Advocate for Sustainability

John Swanson

Mar 1, 2024, 3:25:56 PMMar 1
to Edat, Annette Mills
Hi all:

FYI: Here's a letter I just sent to Superintendent Noss & School Board commending them for their good work advancing sustainability. It feels good when advocacy can include accolades. The Board reviewed and commented on the latest version of its goals at their last meeting. The ecoliteracy goals remain with no comments to change them in that session. Commitment to include them continues. Getting closer to getting goals passed. IMO, they are working hard to get it done right.

John