Cliffs Porter

cliffesullivan

Apr 9, 2018, 4:13:53 PM4/9/18
to Recipe Share
Probably too dark to be a true porter, but this is my porter recipe. It took a lot of tweaking to get right. Excessively hard water will make the roast stand out a bit too much. I build up from RO water and use baking soda for PH adjustment. Don't sub out the scottish yeast, it's da bomb for this beer!!

77% pale malt (I usually use Great Western)
10% Weyermann carahell ( the organic version is called crystal 10)
5% Castle chocolate malt (any chocolate malt would work, but Castle is really nice)
5% brown malt
3% roasted barley
magnum hops for bittering 22 ibu
18 grams edelweiss hops for flavor at 10 minutes left in the boil, (adds 3 ibu's)
1.5 liter starter of Gigayeast GY 044 scotch ale yeast
Water: CASO4-40ppm, CaCl- 70ppm, adjust mash PH to 5.4 with baking soda

Process:
Mash at 156 for one hour
ferment at 58 degrees

 OG 1.055, FG 1.017, 25 ibu's.