Meet the Author: Sandra Bärnreuther

1 view

Luca Chiapperino

May 4, 2023, 7:06:57 AM5/4/23
to STS Lab - Laboratoire d'étude des sciences et des techniques, swis...@sts-ch.org, STSlab
Dear all,

Hope this message finds you well. This is a reminder about the Meet the Author event taking place on Wednesday May 10th (12h00 - 14h00) at the STS Lab, UNIL. We will host the presentation of the book "Substantial Relations. Making Global Reproductive Medicine in Postcolonial India" (Cornell University Press) by Sandra Bärnreuther, Assistant Professor of Social and Cultural Anthropology at the University of Lucerne.

The meeting will take place at Géopolis, in room 5799.

Substantial Relations examines practices of global reproductive medicine in India, focusing on the historical and contemporary making of in vitro fertilization in Dehli. The book offers an ethnographic account of the multiple engagements of actors and technologies that sustain the global circulation of reproductive substances in India and make up this thriving sector of the Indian economy. The book explores substances in a deeply analytical way, making the different materialities of assisted reproduction manifest a socio-anthropological understanding of reproductive medicine at a global scale.

We will meet the author in a very open and welcoming format. Anyone, even those who will not be able to read the book, are more than welcome to participate to the event. Sandra will introduce the book, take questions and also kindly respond to any query concerning the publication process in the hope to help young members of the STS Lab in getting ahead with the challenge of publishing a book.

The book is freely accessible and can be downloaded at: https://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/9781501758218/substantial-relations/#bookTabs=0

We look forward to seeing you there. And do not hesitate to circulate this reminder across your professional circles.

Best,
Luca

Luca Chiapperino
SNSF Ambizione Lecturer
University of Lausanne
Faculty of Social and Political Sciences
Quartier UNIL-Mouline
Bâtiment Géopolis, Bureau 5556
CH-1015 Lausanne - Switzerland