Fwd: [HSSuisse] UNIGE Lecture by Sverker Sörlin, "Cold Environments," 6 June, 12h45

Loïc Riom

May 14, 2024, 3:14:47 AMMay 14
to swis...@sts-ch.org
FYI

Début du message réexpédié :

De: Lucas Mueller <Lucas....@unige.ch>
Objet: [HSSuisse] UNIGE Lecture by Sverker Sörlin, "Cold Environments," 6 June, 12h45
Date: 13 mai 2024 à 13:52:31 UTC+2
Répondre à: Lucas Mueller <Lucas....@unige.ch>

Dear Colleagues,

As part of HSSuisse 2024, we invited Sverker Sörlin from the KTH Royal Institute of Technology to give a keynote on

"How Cold Environments Shaped Science and Infrastructures -- and vice-versa. Experiences from Cryo-History."

Cold science has caught increasing interest among historians. Soon fifteen years ago, I ventured to call this a turn toward ‘cryo-history’. This may be a good moment to take stock and reflect on implications for the history of science, technology, and environment. Cryo-history has also meant to take a wide, integrative view and contextualize cold, ice, and snow in new ways. Global warming and the Anthropocene have provided important impulses. Elemental properties have acquired more agency, as have local knowledge traditions. Growing evidence suggests that the human enterprise is hitting ‘planetary boundaries’, with acute manifestations in cold places. In this talk I will include my recent interest in snow, a fugitive and ever transforming element, as a valid property of historical work in our time. In industrial modernity, snow began to relate to use of scarce resources in expanding extractivist economies. Snow and tundra became part of military and civil infrastructures. Snow came with optical and acoustic phenomena. At the same time, snow became part of national identities in northern and alpine countries. I will argue that ‘environing’ matters: that cold environments are shaped, as ideas, concepts, and as terraformed space with science and technology as key agencies.

Sverker has published widely on the history of science and technology, and he currently runs a ERC Advanced Grant project. SPHERE – Study of the Planetary Human Earth Relationship: The Rise of Global Environmental Governance.

Even if you are unable to attend the whole HSSuisse workshop, you will still be most welcome to join the lecture on Thursday, 6 June, at 12h45 in the SDG Solution Space of the Campus Biotechnology.

Best wishes,
Lucas

-
Lucas Mueller, PhD
Collaborateur Scientifique II
SNSF-Ambizione-Fellow

Université de Genève
Département de Géographie et environnement
Faculté des Sciences de la Société
Uni Carl-Vogt, C 309
CH-1211 Genève 4
+41 22 37 93337

A3-ColdEnvironment-06062024.png

-
HSSuisse - History of Science in Switzerland
https://hssuisse.ch
-
Send your history of science event notes to: hssu...@listes.unige.ch
-