[Amazon][JDBC](10220) Driver not capable.

Louis

Nov 2, 2015, 4:44:39 PM11/2/15
to sdc-user
Hi,

I just got started with the streamsets Docker container this morning, the setup was a breeze!

Now I want to try a simple case of interaction with a Redshift database, but I am having some issues..

And added it under /opt/streamsets-datacollector-1.1.1/streamsets-libs/streamsets-datacollector-jdbc-lib/lib/

I then setup a simple JDBC Consumer in my pipeline, but when I run a preview, I get the following error:

"JDBC_04 - Query is failed to execute: 'SELECT session_id, page_group FROM beacons WHERE session_id > 'bca6fc68-d746-4ac9-84cf-2ad222d2768c-nx47c7' ORDER BY session_id' Error: SQLState: HYC00 Error Code: 10220 Message: [Amazon][JDBC](10220) Driver not capable."

The SQL is valid and runs using SQLWorkbench (http://www.sql-workbench.net/) and the same JDBC driver.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Cheers,
Louis

PS: here's the JDBC Consumer configuration I'm using:

  • JDBC Connection String: jdbc:redshift://...
  • Incremental Mode
  • SQL Query: SELECT session_id, page_group FROM beacons WHERE session_id > '${OFFSET} ORDER BY session_id
  • Initial offset: bca6fc68-d746-4ac9-84cf-2ad222d2768c-nx47c7
  • Offset Column: session_id
  • Use Credentials

Adam Kunicki

Nov 2, 2015, 5:14:28 PM11/2/15
to Louis, sdc-user
Hi Louis,

I suspect this is because we try to open a scrollable cursor as its needed for certain circumstances and a database such as RedShift, (Vertica, MySQL, and other column stores) does not support scrollable cursors.
I have filed https://issues.streamsets.com/browse/SDC-1960 to track this issue as you're not the first to run into this.

-Adam

Adam Kunicki
StreamSets | Field Engineer
mobile: 415.890.DATA (3282) | linkedin

Louis

Nov 2, 2015, 6:03:47 PM11/2/15
to sdc-user, lmaga...@soasta.com
That makes sense!

Thank you Adam, I look forward to that patch : )

Louis

Nov 2, 2015, 8:09:58 PM11/2/15
to sdc-user, lmaga...@soasta.com
I just tried the same JDBC consumer using the following driver:
https://jdbc.postgresql.org/download/postgresql-9.4-1204.jdbc42.jar
against a Postgres 9.4 DB and I got the same error.

I thought Postgres did support scrollable cursors, did I miss something?

Adam Kunicki

Nov 2, 2015, 9:33:14 PM11/2/15
to Louis, sdc-user
Hm, that's strange as I've definitely used the postgres 9.4 driver for reading and writing from postgres (both in a docker container and on Amazon RDS. Specifically I've been using: postgresql-9.4-1201.jdbc41.jar.

Is there anything special about your connection string or query? With postgres it was also "Driver not capable"? Would definitely like to get your problem resolved.

-Adam

Louis

Nov 3, 2015, 12:01:31 AM11/3/15
to sdc-user, lmaga...@soasta.com
I believe this was entirely my mistake, I had not restarted the server after adding my PSQL driver. It seems to all be working now!

I'm not sure why the error remained "Driver not capable".

Sorry about the delayed response, I was setting up docker/streamsets on my laptop.

Cheers!