users and very few
sites now have a basic version history
on new Google Sites. Before we give you the link to our overview and instructions on the much-needed feature we want to make sure you know what to expect.
Google has taken a long time to rollout this feature because, as you will see when you get it, it's not just adding in a version history but something a bit more (let us know if you spot what you get in addition to version history). Looking back at previous Google roll outs this is much more like when Google moved all Google Docs and Google Sheets to their new versions, rather than simply adding a new feature to what already existed. Here is the plan for roll out
- Over a long period of time individual user accounts will get version history on newly created Google Sites.
- Only newly created sites after this feature has been added to the account will have version history, not existing sites.
- Once everyone has version history when they create new sites Google will start adding version history to existing sites.
- Version history will only include revisions made after it was enabled on the existing site: it will not give historical edits before it was made.
- Google estimates it will take until March 2020 for everyone to get it on their accounts.
- Google estimates it will take until the end of 2020 for all existing sites to get version history - therefore do not expect version history on your existing site any time soon.
- It's brand new so it does not do everything you will want it to.
Having said all that we have used version history on new Sites for nearly two weeks and have a simple overview on what you can expect to see:
What you can expect to see when you get it:
- See who made changes and when
- Restore a previous version
- Restore deleted content
- Name your versions
We've been waiting a long time for this and glad it's here.
You can withdraw from this group at any time: if you wish to do so either send an email to email@example.com or complete our contact form and state you want to be removed from the sites updates group. Please note that all processing of your personal data will cease once you have withdrawn consent, other than where this is required by law, but this will not affect any personal data that has already been processed prior to this point.
For more information on how your information is used, how we maintain the security of your information, and your rights to access information we hold on you please visit https://www.steegle.com/privacy