Star Wars in the Classroom and Girls...

Lori Barr

May 5, 2015, 8:44:33 AM5/5/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Just wondering if any of you have had girls less enthused about all things Star Wars and what you have done to help them get more excited about it?

Thank you for your input :)

Angie Oliverson

May 5, 2015, 8:51:15 PM5/5/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
I have been wondering the same thing as I contemplate running a whole year of Star Wars in the school library next year. Is it too much because I think it would be awesome and not enough because I know they all love it? I'm pretty close to deciding to do it. All on my ability to convey passion and fandom. The teacher being a crazy fan and finding all sorts of ways to tie it in to reading and math and science and social studies? That'll do it.

Right now? Yes, more boys check out the "reader" level DK books. But not only boys. And both check out the chapter level books though I need to order some new ones because the ones we have are pretty old. They go out pretty well even still. And girls like the Princess Leia (and R2D2/C3PO/Chewbacca) bookmarks I hand out for them to color. The more I catch up on Rebels the more I see some great female characters for them to get excited about. I'll admit I was behind on Rebels until streaming just this past weekend. Been a SW classicist. Students like and know the newer stuff best. Or at least my elementary kiddos do.