StarWars

Lori Barr

Apr 20, 2015, 2:27:34 PM4/20/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Any ideas to use the Hobbit novel as a comparison to Star Wars? Which Star Wars books are effective for uses like this?

Lori Barr

Apr 20, 2015, 2:31:37 PM4/20/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
I am considering Yoda=Gandalf, Emperor=Smaug, C3PO/R2D2/Chewy=Dwarf-like companions, Hans=Thorin, Dark Side=Not following the path in Mirkwood, Jabba=Great Goblin, etc...

Petra B. Schubert

Apr 20, 2015, 2:34:36 PM4/20/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Don't know what subject or age-group you are teaching, but a comparison of 'brotherhood' might be a good thing to do. (Hobbits&fellowship compared to the brotherhood of Jedi) Just a thought to start with.
I compared the brotherhood of Jedi to Whitman's brotherhood in 'Leaves of Grass'  (Literature class at university) that went pretty well.

Lori Barr

Apr 20, 2015, 2:38:58 PM4/20/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
GREAT connection for sure!! Thank you! Just what I was hoping for. I teach Advanced readers at the middle school level. Perfect!

Janice Liedl

Apr 20, 2015, 2:52:09 PM4/20/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
I don't know much about the middle school titles which might appeal, but as co-editor of "Star Wars and History" and "The Hobbit and History", I applaud those parallels.

They both embody the hero's journey and that might be a help in looking for ways to teach this. I'd start with the lesson overview provided by PBS in their American Masters series, George Lucas and the Power of Myth.

You can also find great materials for the Hobbit as a hero's journey at the Pinterest page for Teaching the Hobbit. That's where I found a bunch more interesting links. Sorry but I'm just on my phone as I grade exams so I don't have links.

Janice

Lori Barr

Apr 20, 2015, 3:39:49 PM4/20/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Thank you Janice! Your advice and confirmation is encouraging and helpful. I will have some studying to do...but I LOVE it!!

Lori

RHG - Rogue 175

Apr 20, 2015, 6:35:28 PM4/20/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
When we looked at the Campbell archetypes in Star Wars for our mythology unit, we talked a lot about reluctance and self-doubt in the "Refusal of the Call" stage of the journey.  I've had some great luck in using that as a entry point to hero stories with teenagers.  With Bilbo, his reluctance and "Refusal of the Call"  stage goes a long way, and even further than Luke's does in some aspects.

With all of the really cool character parallels that you've outlined, and with the awesome ideas of camaraderie in the "Brotherhood" focus, a discussion of what makes a person finally believe in him/herself might be very powerful, and lay some cool foundations for later studies of more complex heroic myth like Theseus, Odysseus, and Beowulf.

Good luck!

Wes

Apr 23, 2015, 6:29:03 PM4/23/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Terrific discussion and wonderful parallels!

Dr. Liedl's suggestion of looking at the Power of Myth series is a great place to learn a lot about the archetypes and mythological connections.  Joseph Campbell explains these timeless connections so well!

Here's a few links to help you find that series... which I own and view at lease once a year for inspiration.  I should mention this is not the special featuring George Lucas, but only Joseph Campbell (interviewed by Bill Moyers).  It's still a fantastic resource and will provide you with everything you need to know about mythology and the hero's journey!

The Interview DVD - A little pricey, but so worth it.

There's also a CD version, great for listening in the car.