Learning Electronics through lightsaber building

Shaye Whitmer

Jun 30, 2015, 9:26:40 AM6/30/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
I've been teaching basic machining through the building of light sabers. Kids learn these skills

Usage of a dremmel,
Mitre Saw (not required but useful if using metal)
Soldering
leds
voltage
currents and amperage

Here is a pic from day one

Marisa Meeks

Jul 1, 2015, 1:27:21 AM7/1/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Awesome! Can you provide some details about how you're teaching amps, volts, circuits in particular? Wish you were my teacher - I'd love this now, let alone as a kid!!

Shaye Whitmer

Jul 1, 2015, 10:11:04 PM7/1/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
I couch it all in the language of leds. LED's have a specific number of volts required to get them to light.

most take about 3.4V but since reds require 2.4v to light up this brings in resistance.

This brings in wiring circuits in series or in parallel. Series increases voltage, parallel increases available amps. Knowing when to use them is the trick.

This brings up the idea of why and how to we used battery packs and why do you in fact need multiple batteries and are they in fact in series or parallel and why.

Shaye Whitmer

Jul 3, 2015, 9:56:44 AM7/3/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Here are some pics of the illuminated light sabers, I'll try to get hilt pics today. Some of them went home and didn't make it back yesterday.Hope they come in today.

Angie Oliverson

Jul 3, 2015, 10:01:23 AM7/3/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
Seriously cool. I would have gone to that class in a heartbeat!

Shaye Whitmer

Jul 3, 2015, 10:14:41 AM7/3/15
to rogues-r...@starwarsintheclassroom.com
If you want a written instructions on how to do it all, here it is.

how to build a lightsaber.docx