High Availability Cluster

1 view

orval....@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2016, 7:25:29 AM10/24/16
to Stardog
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a high availability cluster but I can't make it work properly. The architecture is as follow : server1, server2 and server3 host both Zookeeper and Stardog while server4 runs HAProxy. I didn't use the zookeeper provided by Stardog but I know that it's well configured (I've tried to create a file on one server and I was able to access it on the other two machines). I made sure that the port specified in stardog.properties and zoo.cfg are the same, but when I try to create a database using
./bin/stardog-admin --server server4:5820 db create -n Test
The database is only created on the Stardog that the load-balancer has provided but not on the others.

The logs show an error
com.complexible.stardog.server.UnknownDatabaseException: Database 'watchdog' does not exist
I don't know what this database is supposed to do and I can't create it (Reserved name 'watchdog' specified for database).

Any idea on how to solve my problem ?

Thanks

PS: I am a total beginner when it comes to high availability arcitectures, so I may have made very trivial mistakes.

Michael Grove

Oct 24, 2016, 3:26:19 PM10/24/16
to stardog
On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:25 AM, <orval....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a high availability cluster but I can't make it work properly. The architecture is as follow : server1, server2 and server3 host both Zookeeper and Stardog while server4 runs HAProxy.

Please note, we recommend for production deployments that you separate ZK and Stardog, ideally on separate machines, but minimally, using separate disks. ZK can be chatty and IO contention can affect system performance.

We also recommend deploying > 1 instancy of HAProxy so that you do not have a SPoF.

I didn't use the zookeeper provided by Stardog but I know that it's well configured (I've tried to create a file on one server and I was able to access it on the other two machines). I made sure that the port specified in stardog.properties and zoo.cfg are the same, but when I try to create a database using
./bin/stardog-admin --server server4:5820 db create -n Test
The database is only created on the Stardog that the load-balancer has provided but not on the others.

The logs show an error
com.complexible.stardog.server.UnknownDatabaseException: Database 'watchdog' does not exist
I don't know what this database is supposed to do and I can't create it (Reserved name 'watchdog' specified for database).

You might review the docs on the HA cluster [1] to make sure your configuration is correct.

Cheers,

Mike

--
-- --

orval....@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 8:16:34 AM10/25/16
to Stardog
I've double checked the documentation but can't see any problem with my configuration . However, it seems that I can't set up a HA cluster using a community license. Can anyone confirm ?

Cheers,

Orval

Stephen Nowell

Oct 25, 2016, 8:25:18 AM10/25/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi Orval,

The docs for the HA cluster [1] state that the only licenses that allow it are Developer and Enterprise (or the 30-day eval versions of them).

Cheers,
Stephen

[1] http://docs.stardog.com/#_configuration

Orval TOUITOU

Oct 25, 2016, 8:32:07 AM10/25/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Ok, thanks for your answers. I guess I'll have to contact the sales department then.

Cheers,
Orval

--
-- --
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Stardog" group.

Orval Touitou