Schema Browser and DL reasoning

justforthe...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2014, 4:14:28 PM4/9/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi, I have just installed Stardog Community and have some basic (newbie) questions.

I have an OWL ontology from which I created a database (I had to input it in RDF/XML format, OWL/XML or any other format did not work). This step seems to go OK (some hundreds of triples are created).

Then I connect to the database via the Web interface and try to use the "Schema Browser" to see Classes and Properties but there is nothing behind "Thing" or "Property" (No more elements found!). Not sure why.

Also, if I go to the "Query Panel", I see no reasoning level option for "DL" (which I thought it existed according to http://docs.stardog.com/owl2/). I presume I am missing something.

Thanks,

J.

Fernando Hernandez

Apr 9, 2014, 4:40:52 PM4/9/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi,

On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM, <justforthe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I have just installed Stardog Community and have some basic (newbie) questions.

I have an OWL ontology from which I created a database (I had to input it in RDF/XML format, OWL/XML or any other format did not work). This step seems to go OK (some hundreds of triples are created).

Then I connect to the database via the Web interface and try to use the "Schema Browser" to see Classes and Properties but there is nothing behind "Thing" or "Property" (No more elements found!). Not sure why.

The tree in the schema browser and the collection views are built using the explicit taxonomy in the DB, i.e. not using reasoning.

Also, if I go to the "Query Panel", I see no reasoning level option for "DL" (which I thought it existed according to http://docs.stardog.com/owl2/). I presume I am missing something.

Currently, the query panel doesn't support the DL profile, but the CLI does. The short explanation is that DL is complete for TBox queries [1] only, so we thought it might confuse/annoy people if we had it there. We might change our minds about this

Cheers,
Fernando

justforthe...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2014, 5:31:45 PM4/9/14
to sta...@clarkparsia.com, fern...@clarkparsia.com
Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your answer.

I have defined some classes and properties explicitly, like:

   <owl:Class rdf:about="......">
        <rdfs:label>.....</rdfs:label>
        <rdfs:comment>......</rdfs:comment>
    </owl:Class>
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about=".....">
        <rdfs:label>....</rdfs:label>
        <rdfs:comment>.....</rdfs:comment>
        <rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:resource="....."/>
    </owl:ObjectProperty>

It is not that I am not getting a classification considering domain and ranges (for example), it is just that I am not seeing any of my classes. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

DL reasoning - Oh I see. At least you confirmed that it is indeed supported, thanks. Well, I guess it is a functional decision but it seems to me that if it is considered confusing/annoying in the Web interface, it might be the same for the CLI. Probably, as long as the user knows the limitations, I guess it should be fine and does not hurt.

Thanks!

Kendall Clark

Apr 10, 2014, 10:00:58 AM4/10/14
to stardog, justforthe...@gmail.com, Fernando Hernandez
Did you click the greater than symbol to the left of Thing (or Property) to expand the class tree (or property tree)?

Cheers,
Kendall

--
-- --

Jeremy Iron

Apr 11, 2014, 7:49:03 PM4/11/14
to Kendall Clark, stardog, Fernando Hernandez
I got it now, thanks!

It is a bit confusing since I didn't expect the ">" to be a different link from the name itself, but I see how this works now.

Thanks.

Kendall Clark

Apr 11, 2014, 7:50:56 PM4/11/14
to Jeremy Iron, stardog, Fernando Hernandez
Yr not the first one to be confused by this so it's obviously not as clear as we thought.

We'll do something about that in the next release.

Cheers,
Kendall