Export all data inferred

Fardel Simon

Apr 8, 2016, 9:40:50 AM4/8/16
to Stardog
Hi,

Protégé can "Export inferred axioms as ontology". I would know if it's possible with Stardog Api ?

Bests regards,

Simon F.

Zachary Whitley

Apr 8, 2016, 3:37:00 PM4/8/16
to Stardog
I'm not familiar with the Protégé can "Export inferred axioms as ontology" function so please excuse me if this isn't exactly what you're looking for but I think you can accomplish what you're looking for by enabling reasoning on the connection and issuing a "CONSTRUCT WHERE {?s ?p ?o}" query. That would get the entailments and the asserted tbox. You can probably remove the tbox to just get the entailments in a follow up query. I don't think there's any way to do it in a single query as there's no way to differentiate between what is asserted and what is entailed.

--
-- --
---

Zachary Whitley

Apr 8, 2016, 3:57:57 PM4/8/16
to Stardog
Here's an interesting follow up question, does Stardog apply reasoning to update queries? For some reason I was under the impression that it did not but then realized that I don't think I've seen anything that says that is the case.

Pavel Klinov

Apr 8, 2016, 4:13:10 PM4/8/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Yes it does. The WHERE clause in INSERT and DELETE queries is evaluated under the same entailment regime as for SELECT and CONSTRUCT queries.

Regarding the original question, I'd not recommend using "CONSTRUCT WHERE {?s ?p ?o}" with reasoning. SPARQL queries with unbound predicates aren't allowed in the standard SPARQL entailment regimes, in particular, because of computational issues. Stardog does support such queries but it's very likely that there're more efficient ways to solve the end problem. For example, the special predicates [1] can help retrieving all super-classes, all types for an individual, etc.

Cheers,
Pavel

[1] "CONSTRUCT WHERE {?s ?p ?o}"

Pavel Klinov

Apr 8, 2016, 4:23:45 PM4/8/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com

Zachary Whitley

Apr 8, 2016, 4:51:19 PM4/8/16
to Stardog
Thanks, good info on performance and unbound predicates. I wasn't aware of that.

Ray Rashif

Apr 9, 2016, 3:34:58 AM4/9/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
If you're looking to infer everything at one go at load time, i.e.
"offline materialization", then there's no such function through the
API (I asked about this on Gitter).

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1