how to retain existing data when changing Stardog installation

y.y...@semantic-web.at

Dec 12, 2015, 7:54:02 PM12/12/15
to Stardog
Hi Michael,

How is everything going?

I got this practical problem: what is the best way to retain existing data when the Stardog installation is modified, such as upgrading to a newer release, reinstalling Stardog, moving data to another instance?

I read the documentation but did not find a clue. How can I proceed?

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Regards,
Yang

brandon whitehead

Dec 13, 2015, 3:28:00 PM12/13/15
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
+1

I had an issue with a previous version (3.-something) where setting the working directory (as per the documentation) didn't take; so I moved the data into the Stardog hierarchy and all was well.  I'm was assuming I had done something stooopid but didn't have time to find out what it was.

/Brandon

--
-- --
---

Michael Grove

Dec 14, 2015, 6:29:35 AM12/14/15
to stardog
On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 7:54 PM, <y.y...@semantic-web.at> wrote:
Hi Michael,

How is everything going?

I got this practical problem: what is the best way to retain existing data when the Stardog installation is modified, such as upgrading to a newer release, reinstalling Stardog, moving data to another instance?

I read the documentation but did not find a clue. How can I proceed?

Just keep the same STARDOG_HOME and it will just work.  All 4.x releases are compatible with each other.  If you were migrating from 3.x to 4.x, that requires a one-time migration of the on disk format which can be performed automatically on startup.  But generally, just use the same home directory for Stardog and you'll be fine.

Cheers,

Mike

Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Regards,
Yang

y.y...@semantic-web.at

Dec 14, 2015, 7:58:22 AM12/14/15
to Stardog
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot. Keeping the same STARDOG_HOME makes the new Stardog installation refer to the data in the old installation. In that case I used to merge the two directories and replace same files with new versions and it works. But what about the case when we need to move data to another installation? I just moved the directories named by the database name into a different Stardog instance but the new instance cannot discover them automatically. Are there any other files I missed?

Thank you again and have a nice day.

Regards,
Yang

Michael Grove

Dec 14, 2015, 8:27:46 AM12/14/15
to stardog
On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 7:58 AM, <y.y...@semantic-web.at> wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot. Keeping the same STARDOG_HOME makes the new Stardog installation refer to the data in the old installation.

Yes, I was under the impression that is precisely what you were trying to achieve.

In that case I used to merge the two directories and replace same files with new versions and it works.

What files/directories are you merging?

But what about the case when we need to move data to another installation? I just moved the directories named by the database name into a different Stardog instance but the new instance cannot discover them automatically. Are there any other files I missed?

You can't just move files around like that.  That's especially dangerous if the system is running as you risk copying files which are being written to, in which case your copy will be invalid.

The easiest way to move a STARDOG_HOME to a new machine is, when the system is not running, simply zip up the entire directory and move/copy that to the new machine.  You can also use backup & restore to move things database by database if you're only interested in a subset of your databases.

Cheers,

Mike