Could performance issues be related to size and license?

1 view

nickyvo...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2016, 2:48:29 PM12/8/16
to Stardog
We are proud user of Stardog. For a project which we have been running several weeks now, we used a stardog trial enterprise license.
However, the enterpise license has been expired for two weeks or so. We have one database with approximately 25 million triples. Since today we have performance problems only on the database which exceeds the triple limits (25 milion triples are outside the "normal" not enterprise license). By performance problems I mean, we get timeouts on very simple queries which should run easily (on a local stardog they run easily).

If we create a new database on the stardog server, we dont have this performance issues only on this large database. From the log file we get no clue what could be the cause. We only find the time-outs from the queries. Before today we did not have any issues.

Could it be caused by exceeding the enterprise license trial?

Zachary Whitley

Dec 8, 2016, 3:13:23 PM12/8/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
That could very well be the case. I actually don't know exactly what happens to a 30 day trial after it expires (Im not a Stardog person) if it reverts to the equivalent of a community license or just expires dead.

You may be able to simply register for another 30 trial license to test it out. I can't speak for Stardog but I don't think they would have a problem with that as long as you were sincerely evaluating it and not trying to get around the intent of the license.

When you say "before today" do you mean yesterday but after it expired it had been working or it had been working previous to today but before the license expired?

I would suggest that you get in touch directly with the Stardog folks about what you need, are looking to do and how they can support you moving forward at sa...@stardog.com
--
-- --
---

nickyvo...@gmail.com

Dec 9, 2016, 3:32:12 AM12/9/16
to Stardog
Before today as, yesterday but after it expired it had been working. The company we have been doing the project for, is arranging a enterprise license but in the mean time we use what we have right now. The only thing we can think about having this performance issue is the license, because we cannot find anything else. We rebooted the server and optimized the database but nothing seems to help.

Zachary Whitley

Dec 9, 2016, 8:00:34 AM12/9/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Running on an expired license is going to be an issue. I don't know if it will be this issue but it sounds like you will be resolving that problem shortly. You can try looking at stardog.log to see if there are any errors or warnings.

I don't precisely know what running optimize does but it would nice if someone would provide some details about what exactly it does. I always figured it manually merged the diff index but that's just a guess and it very well might do more.

Did you reboot the machine or just stardog?

Mark Wood

Dec 9, 2016, 12:08:11 PM12/9/16
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Nicky,

Can I ask if you are working on the Norwegian Community project?

Kind Regards,

Mark.

--
-- --

Mark Wood Bus Development Consultant EMEA
Web:    www.stardog.com

nickyvo...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 11:09:09 AM12/14/16
to Stardog, nickyvo...@gmail.com
We found the solution this week. Probably it had nothing to do with the license. We ran a query with a few group by`s all friday afternoon, which probably overloaded our stardog server. This was probably the reason why we couldnt do anything with the server anymore. We played around later on and we found that several group by`s in a SPARQL query runs quite ok if the database does not contain over a million triples. If you run a query with multiple group by`s on a sparql query with more than a million triples it causes time-outs (the amount of memory will probably influence this).

Summary, the performance problem is likely not causes by a license issue but, because of a query construction which has a hard time processing over millions of triples.

nickyvo...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 11:10:20 AM12/14/16
to Stardog, ma...@stardog.com
Hi Mark,

Yeah sure you can ask, I am not working on the Norwegian Community project.