Starting stardog in foreground (e.g. for docker)

r...@swirrl.com

Jun 2, 2015, 11:37:14 AM6/2/15
to sta...@clarkparsia.com
Hi. I'm trying to find out if there's an official way to start stardog in the foreground.

By default, the stardog-admin server start command runs the server in the background, but for running stardog in a docker, I'd prefer it to be foregrounded.

I've searched the docs and had a look through the stardog-admin script, and I can't see any supported way to do this. For now, I've achieved what I wanted in my container by commenting out the section around line 71 of stardog-admin that says:

if [ "$1" = "server" ]; then
   if [ "$2" = "start" ]; then
     BACKGROUND=true
   fi
fi

...but it would be great if there was an official way to do this (e.g. by passing an argument, or adding a new command such as start-foreground), so that I didn't have to remember to do this again when I upgrade to a new version of stardog.

Please let me know if I've missed something, or there's a different recommended way of doing this.

Thanks,
Ric

Michael Grove

Jun 3, 2015, 7:21:21 AM6/3/15
to stardog
There's no official way, your modification is as good as anything.  I created a ticket for this (2326) and we'll include it in a future release.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks,
Ric